Exterior lights

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an interesting problem at a customers house. I was called to replace some 500w halogen bulbs in two fixtures mounted on the house.
When I opened them up one bulb looked like it had been burnt and broken at the ceramic ends. The other bulb had burned out and part of the metal contact of the bulb had been melted and fused to the housing contact.
I replaced that fixture and everything was good for about 9 months or so.
Another call from the customer and I went out to find out that the same situation had occurred. They had an electrician come out and look at it.

Here is what he had to say:

Thought possibly voltage too high on one leg----nope both at around 122v
Thought maybe wrong housing (300w) used in 500w fixture----two different fixtures two different manufacturers blowing at same time?
Next idea was a power surge-----nothing else in the house was affected ...TV ,computer, appliances

His only possible fix was to swap the fixtures for regular floods.

Anybody ever run into this before?

Thanks

Ken9876

Yes, those fixture don't seem to hold up too well. I've seen the lamp ends fused to the sockets due to arcing, which I guess could cause enough heat to break them. When servicing these fixtures it always seems that the entire fixture needs to be replaced. Maybe some dielectric grease on the sockets ends would keep them from corroding and arcing?

Buck Parrish

Yes, those fixture don't seem to hold up too well. I've seen the lamp ends fused to the sockets due to arcing, which I guess could cause enough heat to break them. When servicing these fixtures it always seems that the entire fixture needs to be replaced. Maybe some dielectric grease on the sockets ends would keep them from corroding and arcing?

I too, have had many problems with them. When installed, I use the dialectric grease on the ends as stated above. This seems to extend the life span. Also if you can put a 100 watt bulb instead of 300 or more.
If they are owner provided lights, then it's on them.

I never recommend using them. Their are better options.

dmagyar

240 volt surprise

240 volt surprise

Years ago I was called out on a Quartz tennis court fixture that was out. Not thinking anything else I turned off the switch feeding the lamp at the bottom of the pole, climbed up the ladder to the fixture. Same situation as noted earlier I found a broken fused end in one of the sockets and when I was prying the end of the lamp out of the fixture, bang, my screw driver wasn't as new anymore. Some dimWitt had used a single pole switch to control only one leg for the light and another dimwitt didn't test to see if it was really off before begining the repair.

charlietuna

Original fixtures were probably lower wattage and were fed with 120 volt circuit. They needed more light to see the ball--upgraded the fixtures and someone just moved the neutral to a double pole breaker ! Quartz lighting is very inefficient and lamp life is one of the lowest in our industry. They aren't bad in certain areas, like when you need to light an area for short periods of time---around a colling tower--or garbage area. For continous use you need to consider selling your customer on a small metal halide flood or even the new compact flourescent flood (electronic) with a built-in photo cell.

rt66electric

throw away heads

throw away heads

Every time a customer asks me to replace the bulb only, I refuse to, "I can replace the whole fixture quicker than the time to replace the bulb". I explain to them that the heads are only designed to last two years. "Planned obsolesence"

I guess the package should say "for your safety the bulb has been welded to the fixture". That's the way these things have been working.

jayaredee

Inactive, Email Never Verified
We use a lot of these for temp lighting...life span is short but there are two things I've found that seem to help...

1. Never touch the new bulb with your skin. the oils on your hands get on the bulb, heat up and cause premature failure.
2. The bulbs that come with the fixtures are not very good. If you replace them with 'shock resistant' or 'construction rated' bulbs they tend to last longer.

And I agree, prolly not the greatest for long term fixed installation where constant use is expected.

Nyways...that's my 2 cents. :grin:

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
I've had lots of problems with these too. Sometimes replace a lamp, think it's seated well but get another call on the way home that it's out again. I haven't thought about grease, may be a good idea. I try not to install these lights any more. Older ones didn't seem as problematic. I think they use cheaper and cheaper metals for the socket pins and it can't take the heat. Strangely, the ones we have for jobsite use work some better.

Status
Not open for further replies.