Exterior soffit lighting - color changing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
I have a customer wanting to have exterior soffit lights installed that he can change the color(s) of individually or in a group. I haven't installed soffit lights in 10+ years. (Pre-LED era.)

What do y'all install?

Single-story home with access to the soffits.

retirede

I have no first hand experience with them, but there are companies that make bulbs that do this. Bluetooth-controlled. No special wiring required.

4x4dually

Occupation
Electrical Engineer/ Ex-Electrician
Interested as well. Just poured stem wall on our new house so I'd like to see what ya'll recommend. It would be cool to have at least white, green, and red. You know...for Christmas junk.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
I installed recess lights on one house and we used Feit electric Wi-Fi RGB trims. They can be controlled individually or grouped

Another house, I installed Wi-Fi controlled RGB strip lighting

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
I've seen ads for 'holiday lighting' that's permanently installed, and color-programmable, either the entire string, or patterns. No idea who or how much, but the technology is there!

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
if you're looking for recessed lighting, while I don't have them in my soffits, I've got a lot of Philips Hue lights around my house and they've been trouble free.

For the Hue lamps I have on my hue bridge I use their switch module wired to my adorne paddle switches to control them.

And I have some connected to my Legrand/netatmo zigbee gateway, and I use the legrand Zigbee switches to control those. You will need to connect to their bridge though to use preset lighting scenes.

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
I've seen ads for 'holiday lighting' that's permanently installed, and color-programmable, either the entire string, or patterns. No idea who or how much, but the technology is there!
One company is https://www.trimlight.com/ I have no idea who they are or how reputable they are-- and why is a system of permanently installed holiday lighting 'patented??'

Status
Not open for further replies.