Failed CA Journeyman's Test. Now I need to improve in certain area and need direction

Status
Not open for further replies.

rm4god2018

Hello all! I am new to this forum and hope I can learn some things while I am here. I recently took my CA Journeyman's test and failed. I was pretty confident. Time was my enemy. I answered the questions I knew, marked the ones I wanted to go back to or thought would take me longer to find. My scaled score was 66%. Failed! Any ways, I am gearing up to study again in the areas I didn't do good at. I need guidance and or practice questions in the areas of: Wiring and Protection, Wiring Methods and Material and Equipment for General Use. These are the areas that I need to improve on to pass the test confidently. These areas are from the sheet PSI gave me that shows the percent right I received. Any help is appreciated. I was using Mikes practice exams and some practice exams my boss gave me the first time I studied. I really need to pass this next time and I really can't afford to spend money on prep guides unless they are really inexpensive.

Randy

norcal

Which code edition are they using? When I took mine it was the 1999 edition but that was a while ago.

Edit: said they are going to the 2011 on June 2, currently on the 2008.

I would buy the MH 2011 study guide, nothings cheap but would be money well spent.

Sparky3141

Dude, you have to set your priorities.

What?s the most important thing that you have to do? Is it getting that license? Or something else? If it?s the license then you got a couple of different options.

If you are like some people I?ve heard about you may be able to sit down, crack open the code book, start reading and understand it. I?ve never met one; and I aint one. Or choice 2, do like I did. I sat down with one of Mike Holts? study guides (probably cost less than $100.00), the code book and determined to spend regular quality study time. I passed my test first time out back in 2008. It?s about setting priorities and finding balance. At that time I was 46 years old and was raising 3 of my kids by myself. You HAVE to set priorities. Make a decision as to what is really important. Partying? Chasing skirts? Fishing? Getting that Electrician?s License!?!

Lets say that your mind is clear; you are calm; and you?ve decided most definitely that you are ready, willing, and able to put in the TIME and WORK that it will take to do this properly. Like me, you may need some help. I?m not here selling Holt Enterprises products. There are plenty of other options out there as well. Like you, I was poking around the internet looking for what was available. I ran in to Holts? stuff; and it worked for me. You might have to do some trial and error to see what is good for you. Get a product, try it out. You'll know pretty quick if you are getting the material. Regardless of expense, you should be looking for as many different ways of paying for as much help as you can stand.

Do you have work boots? Tools? Do you find a way to get to work, like drive, walk, hitch-hike? My point is that you always FIND a way of getting the important things; the things of necessity. Did you eat food today? If it really truly is important, you WILL find a way of getting it.

I submit that getting your license is truly important. Sell flowers at the airport if need be, but get some money for helpful study products. Make a no kidding, real effort to make studying your priority. You need to be well rested, hydrated, and in a quiet, controlled environment. Go to the local library or something. You have to treat it like it?s your job. That shouldn?t be too hard, ?cause it really is. It?s the future that you?ve chosen for yourself so go get after it!

Set your priorities.
Focus on your goal.
Sacrifice what you can to achieve what you need.

I wish you luck and I wish you well; but more than that, I wish you work hard, stay focused, and do good. :thumbsup:

P.S. Welcome to the forum. There are some really intelligent and helpful folks here. :happyyes:

rm4god2018

No Clear Answer Yet...

No Clear Answer Yet...

Thanks for the replies. When I took the test on May 3rd it was open book with the 2008 edition. I am a smart guy who doesn't party. I know what is important and I can navigate the code book pretty darn good. Some of the questions did stump me, I'm not going to lie. The areas I mentioned above are the areas I need to improve on, so with that being said, which section of study material would I need to work on? Does anyone know? I am unemployed and facing surgery soon so I have time, several months, before I go back to work. My priorities are straight Sparky3141. I missed only about 5-6 questions more than I needed to in order to pass. HELP ME!!! lol

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Well the best I can give you is to make sure you study the code that the test is on. For me that can be pass or fail as I have been around for so many variants that sometimes I forget what version we are on. I don't know about the Journeymans test but the C-10 test the CSLB tries hard to get the questions relevant and correct. I personally took part in the test writing workshops. There are many experts and contractors present. They have all the relevant books available. They value our opinion.

Good luck.

If you have a question or clarification ask away. There are many here that like to help!

J.P.

I missed it by 2 and didn't study at all.
I retook it a month later and casually looked through the code book for things that I found interesting and missed it by 3:(

I bought some study guides from this site and passed it the third time:)

As far as what should you study? Which sections did you do poorly on............

Spending $$$$ on your journeyman's card or contractors card will be recouped quickly, and you can write it off on your taxes.

Not getting your card will cost you more.

Sparky3141

Well you certainly sound like you have your head in the right place. I meant no disrespect; it was meant to be motivational.

The "areas" you need practice in are Chapters 2, 3, and 4. What I would do is sell my spleen on the black market and get the "2008 Journeyman Exam Preparation Book Package". This one has the most "bang for the buck". It has the following:

? Electrical Exam Preparation Textbook
? Understanding the NEC, Volume 1, Articles 90-480 Textbook
? Understanding the NEC, Volume 2, Articles 500-820 Textbook
? Basic Electrical Theory Textbook
? Journeyman Simulated Exam

The "Understanding the NEC" Volume 1 will cover the chapters that you need. It'll start off with making sure you have the definitions down and teach you how the code book is organized and walk you through each chapter step by step. I currently have the 2014 edition and they did a pretty good job of presenting the material. Also, you will have plenty of time, so going through Volume 2 will just be gravy.

You will also get the exam textbook and simulated exam which will get you "test ready".

And as an added dividend you will get the "Basic Electrical Theory Textbook". The program was produced 10 years ago, but basic theory doesn't really change much so there is a wealth of good information. I have this book as well as the DVD's. There are 3 DVD's at 4 hours of presentation each. I won't lie, the first 6 to 8 hours are brutally boring but I found the info on motors, generators, and transformers to be quite helpful. Definitely some food for thought in that book for you.

Here's the link: http://www.mikeholt.com/productitem.php?id=1180&year=2008&from=All&type=Book

If you absolutely cannot afford the $200.00 then you *might* be able to eek by with this $74.00 option. I have no personal recommendation for this one as I've not seen it for myself;

http://www.mikeholt.com/productitem.php?id=658&year=2008&from=All&type=Book

You can also check out the you-tube. Search for "Mike Holt" and there are a ton of videos; hours and hours. Here is a link to a 15 minute presentation on "How to prepare for an electrical exam." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PiGMYe-ubo

If you have any specific questions about their products just call the office. They are extremely helpful, courteous, patient, and pleasant to speak with. I have had a few questions and never had a bad experience. Or email too, they respond very quickly.

Well, again Sir, I hope the best for you.

Sincerely,
Jerry

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Hello all! I am new to this forum and hope I can learn some things while I am here. I recently took my CA Journeyman's test and failed. I was pretty confident. Time was my enemy. I answered the questions I knew, marked the ones I wanted to go back to or thought would take me longer to find. My scaled score was 66%. Failed! Any ways, I am gearing up to study again in the areas I didn't do good at. I need guidance and or practice questions in the areas of: Wiring and Protection, Wiring Methods and Material and Equipment for General Use. These are the areas that I need to improve on to pass the test confidently. These areas are from the sheet PSI gave me that shows the percent right I received. Any help is appreciated. I was using Mikes practice exams and some practice exams my boss gave me the first time I studied. I really need to pass this next time and I really can't afford to spend money on prep guides unless they are really inexpensive.

Randy

well, the coaching services charge you a fee, and you sit at a computer, and keep taking the test over and over
until you get running steadily at about 85%, and then you go in and sit for the test. and then you pass.

google this: calif c-10 license school

that's how i did it. was a few hundred bucks for the fee... think it was about $400 ~ $500

and no, we aren't gonna coach you thru it. holt has materials for that, and they are reasonably priced.

norcal

Well you certainly sound like you have your head in the right place. I meant no disrespect; it was meant to be motivational.

The "areas" you need practice in are Chapters 2, 3, and 4. What I would do is sell my spleen on the black market and get the "2008 Journeyman Exam Preparation Book Package". This one has the most "bang for the buck". It has the following:

? Electrical Exam Preparation Textbook
? Understanding the NEC, Volume 1, Articles 90-480 Textbook
? Understanding the NEC, Volume 2, Articles 500-820 Textbook
? Basic Electrical Theory Textbook
? Journeyman Simulated Exam

The "Understanding the NEC" Volume 1 will cover the chapters that you need. It'll start off with making sure you have the definitions down and teach you how the code book is organized and walk you through each chapter step by step. I currently have the 2014 edition and they did a pretty good job of presenting the material. Also, you will have plenty of time, so going through Volume 2 will just be gravy.

You will also get the exam textbook and simulated exam which will get you "test ready".

And as an added dividend you will get the "Basic Electrical Theory Textbook". The program was produced 10 years ago, but basic theory doesn't really change much so there is a wealth of good information. I have this book as well as the DVD's. There are 3 DVD's at 4 hours of presentation each. I won't lie, the first 6 to 8 hours are brutally boring but I found the info on motors, generators, and transformers to be quite helpful. Definitely some food for thought in that book for you.

Here's the link: http://www.mikeholt.com/productitem.php?id=1180&year=2008&from=All&type=Book

If you absolutely cannot afford the $200.00 then you *might* be able to eek by with this $74.00 option. I have no personal recommendation for this one as I've not seen it for myself;

http://www.mikeholt.com/productitem.php?id=658&year=2008&from=All&type=Book

You can also check out the you-tube. Search for "Mike Holt" and there are a ton of videos; hours and hours. Here is a link to a 15 minute presentation on "How to prepare for an electrical exam." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PiGMYe-ubo

If you have any specific questions about their products just call the office. They are extremely helpful, courteous, patient, and pleasant to speak with. I have had a few questions and never had a bad experience. Or email too, they respond very quickly.

Well, again Sir, I hope the best for you.

Sincerely,
Jerry

According to this site as of today 6/2/14 the exam is based on the 2011 NEC.

https://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/ecu/ElectricalTrade.html

Last edited:

Sparky3141

I didn't think to look up which code cycle, I'm in Hawaii and licensed in Oregon so I was just going by what the OP said was needed. Good thing though; all of those products are available for the 2011 also at the same (or nearly same) prices. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I wonder if the test actually was on the 2008 and not the 2011.

Continuing ed classes I have taken latetly have been on the wrong code that was disclosed.. My class was the first to get the new version.

It happen to us too.

It happen to us too.

You can contact the testing company and ask which code cycle your test was based on. We had the wrong information as to which code cycle the test questions would come from. I found the most reliable source is the company.

welcome randy...i think you have to work on your strong areas, build efficiency and Accuracy then you have to do complete analysis of the exam, see the pattern of the previous years papers and work according to that...best of luck for the future.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
I firmly believe that if you are a competent guy these steps will allow you to pass the test. Many of the steps are taught in Mike's own classes. First, you have to get NEC study questions. It really doesn't matter what the questions are. Hundreds are better than tens. The real purpose of them is to get you used to looking things up in the code book, not to learn the actual answers to individual questions. This is soooooooooo important. Taking an open book test is not about know the answers as it is knowing where to find them. When practicing NEVER answer a question from memory. Always find it in the code book. Practice the test steps below until you understand that they will work.

First, you have to memorize the 9 chapters of the code book and what each one covers. Not specifics general. If I say pools you have to know that is chapter 6 grounding chapter 2, anything about conductors chapter 3 but cable is chapter 8 motors chapter 4 etc. Chapters 1-4 are more important for testing than 5-8, 9 is tables and you definitely need that one. Start using the table of contents to look things up instead of the index. The index is more thorough, but if you know how the code is laid out you can often get there more quickly from the front. After you have done that...

Practice and take you test this way.

First thing, get your scratch paper and write down, chapter 1-9

Starting with the first question, read it and on the scratch paper write the question number next to the chapter you think has the answer. ALWAYS DO THIS FIRST. Even if you know the answer period. Then if you know the answer for 100% sure no ifs ands or buts, then circle it in the book and cross off the question number for quick reference in both the scratch paper and the book. DO NOT MARK YOUR ANSWER SHEET!!!!!!! If you are fairly sure, then circle the answer, but don't cross off the question number. For all other questions, read the question and assign a chapter. This takes discipline this is why you have to practice this over and over. Don't think, " oh I know where this answer is let me look it up real quick." assign a chapter and move on. Once you have read EVERY question, then...........

You will look at your scratch and see that you have many questions from a few chapters. Obviously start on those questions. Look up the first question from that chapter. What you will find is that you are looking for one answer and another will appear. Find the question in the test and answer it by circling like above. AGAIN DON"T MARK YOUR OFFICIAL TEST ANSWER SHEET. Don't spend too much time on any one question, and if you think you assigned one wrong, then reassign it to the "right" chapter. If you are having trouble finding the answer, mover on, you will come back through again. Go chapter by chapter in order of most to least questions. One thing, don't answer complex calculation questions regardless of how well you think you know them. These are the last thing you do. Think about it. A simple conductor ampacity with ambient temperature will take you 2-3 minutes, you can look up three questions in that time. Priorities.

After you have made your way all the way through, start at the top again. And it is time to start watching the clock. Keep working at questions with the above process, spend the time answering the calculating questions, and when you get to 15 minutes from time up and ONLY when you get to 15 minutes, take out your answer sheet and starting at the top transfer your answers from the test to the sheet. 15 minutes is more than enough time to do this. Many tests are failed because the person answered question 20-30 on blocks 19-29. This method helps to prevent this too.

You have to practice this over and over. It is very uncomfortable to do everything above. It is so counter intuitive not to answer the questions you know and hold off on the answer sheet. Your brain screams at you. But it not efficient. By reading every question first, you find certain things. Two questions that are almost identical. One question that triggers a memory about another question, and you see the "trick" they were trying to pull. Remembering that a later question was asked when you see the answer looking up the question you are on. Every time that happens you have reduced your time per question by a lot.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.