Fair Per Diem Compensation

Status
Not open for further replies.

JFletcher

Let's just work this out:
For each meal two Dollar Menu items and a soft drink. Total for three meals: $12.

You forgot the 14% sales tax. But,hey, soft drinks are bad for you; get a free water each meal, back to $9.:D

I worked for a guy that cheap once; his idea of 'travel expenses' was gas only. Okay, then my truck gets 5 mpg. I can understand economical, but asking employees or subs to eat it....didnt work out well for him, or me either.

iwire

Staff member
Allow me to interpret. He is saying an employee should not have additional expenses to work away from home.

Exactly that.

I have worked on the road and from my perspective I am doing the company a favor to do so. I expect higher compensation for having to be away from home.

dpeter

Occupation
elevator mechanic / building maintenance
I get to spend up to 45.00 a day for food and lodging is fully paid for on my company card. Anything above that is on me. The cost of my absence from home far exceeds the cost of food. How are you compensated for being away from family? "Rhetorical"

peter d

I worked for a company that required extensive and frequent travel. Travel benefits were good: no shared hotel room in mid grade hotels (no flea bag dives), $35 per diem, and all travel time paid for (paid to go to and from airport, to and from job site) and a $250/day bonus if you stay on a jobsite over the weekend into the next work week. Those travel weeks often resulted in a very nice check from all the overtime and reimbursement.

growler

Most men with families are still buying groceries at home when on the road and that doesn't change much when they are not there to eat.

This is what I said and I was meaning that the bills at home continue when you are on the road. All bills, rent/mortgage, power, water/sewage, insurance, phone/cable, food, ect. ect. The fact that you are not there doesn't really save you any money.

JFletcher

I get to spend up to 45.00 a day for food and lodging is fully paid for on my company card. Anything above that is on me. The cost of my absence from home far exceeds the cost of food. How are you compensated for being away from family? "Rhetorical"

Divorce. Tho 3 weeks aint nothing for military, it can be about two and a half weeks too long for some. I wont go as far to say my job cost my family, but it sure didnt help. You young guys who may read this; dont think it cant happen to you.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Divorce. Tho 3 weeks aint nothing for military, it can be about two and a half weeks too long for some. I wont go as far to say my job cost my family, but it sure didnt help. You young guys who may read this; dont think it cant happen to you.
Seems the concept and practice of fidelity in marriage continue to wane as the years pass...

dfmischler

Occupation
Facilities Manager
I think people have a seriously optimistic view of the level of fidelity in marriage in the past. I don't think much has really changed. It is just more open these days.
“Where there’s marriage without love, there will be love without marriage.” - Benjamin Franklin

jerryalan

Occupation
electrician
per diem

per diem

way back when I first started in the trade I was a casual employe in Valdosta working for a company out of North Carolina. they had two foremen, one would work a crew a crew 4 10's and the other foreman would work another crew 4 10's, I worked for both crews but never got overtime because I was working 40 hours for each foreman, (80 hours every eight days).
this one foreman would cook beans and cornbread, demand that I eat some and then charge me for the meal.
per diem since then has been fair to me or I didn't go.
the range is from $120 + room in Toronto to $65 + room at Oak Ridge Tn.
the best job paid my driving time as work time and $120 and I paid the room, anytime these folks called I went.
per diem has got to make it worth my while to not be able to get up in the middle of the night and go downstairs and have a bowl of cereal, in my underwear.

I remember catching crap from this forum when I detailed running an extra ground into a creek bed to alleviate some lightning issues a client had, was told it was not necessary and didn't have any effect.
Mike Holt featured a video with a couple 50' (coupled) ground rods and nary a peep from cadre . . .
my client had no issues after I ran the "superfluous rod" and I'm convinced that running the extra 60' of solid 6 and the creeked rod made the difference.
if an employee has to go out of pocket to work for you he probably won't stay very long . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.