Falling Fixtures

Status
Not open for further replies.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
Is this a test? it seems pretty clear to me. zoom into the pics. You can see that a screw in the wrong place has blown out the box. Who did it only that person will know.:slaphead:

The box has three screw holes, each tapped to accept an 8-32. I do remember that the knock outs on these boxes quickly snapped out and detached from the boxes as you can see in the pics. Normally, as you all know, these "cable grips" remain and put pressure on the romex. I'm thinking these boxes were overly brittle for whatever reason. I mailed the remains back to Cantex today to get their take on it. The thing that really bugs me the most is why the failures happened all in the same house when these boxes were used in many other installations. That leads me back to the sheetrock crew but that still doesn't account for the brittleness

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
The thing that really bugs me the most is why the failures happened all in the same house when these boxes were used in many other installations.

If all of the boxes were bought at the same time, then they all probably came out of same 'of questionable quality' manufacturing batch.
It would be more mysterious if the problem involved boxes which were purchased over several years.

Last edited:

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
The box has three screw holes, each tapped to accept an 8-32. I do remember that the knock outs on these boxes quickly snapped out and detached from the boxes as you can see in the pics. Normally, as you all know, these "cable grips" remain and put pressure on the romex. I'm thinking these boxes were overly brittle for whatever reason. I mailed the remains back to Cantex today to get their take on it. The thing that really bugs me the most is why the failures happened all in the same house when these boxes were used in many other installations. That leads me back to the sheetrock crew but that still doesn't account for the brittleness
Very weird. Some boxes are more brittle than others. Take regular Carlon they will bend and twist. Get them in cold weather and they shatter.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
If all of the boxes were bought at the same time, then they all probably came out of same 'of questionable quality' manufacturing batch.
It would be more mysterious if the problem involved boxes which were purchased over several years.

Yes Jim, they were all part of the same case. I don't expect much from Cantex as I'm sure they wouldn't fess up even if they knew about issues with these. I'm just curious how they will reply. You would think that a box that has a UL listing to support 50# would be pretty tough and forgiving even if it were roughed up by careless sheetrockers.

Status
Not open for further replies.