family prices

Status
Not open for further replies.

larryl

what do you guys charge to do work for family & friends,i get 70.00 an hour for one guy,
let me know what ya;s think,,,
thanks in advance,,
larry

electricmanscott

Re: family prices

This is a touchy subject. I make it a rule to do as little work as possible for family and friends. They of course expect freebies. I of course am trying to make a living doing this stuff. I will do minor jobs for free and that is it. Any type of remodel or such they have to pay something. They all have more money than me anyway.

kentirwin

I am not a contractor but I believe every electrician gets asked to do work for family and friends. Kinda like if you have a truck - all your friends think you're a part time mover. :D My family knows my "no side work" stance. Still, I've done some minor stuff in the past for my folks for free.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

I suggest staying away from doing work for family and friends. They will think labor should be free, and somehow you will have leftover parts you can donate to the work they won't have to pay for either.

I like the concept of doing it for free and using them as the grunt. Send them to the store with a list of parts they will need. They can also shine your shoes and bring you coffee. :)

mdshunk

I look at it this way: Why would you not want to do a favor for your family? Family is important to me. If doing the favor isn't breaking my bank, why not? A little family goodwill goes a long way. I don't supply much material for free, mind you, but I can give some labor away for free. My family would be the first to come give me a hand if I needed it. I had a dozen uncles and cousins all over my roof when I needed a new roof put on. Being in business doesn't always have to be "all business".

iwire

Staff member

I do not mix money with friends and family. If the job is small enough to do it as a freebie I will do it. If it is larger then they have to hire an electrician just like anyone else.

jeff43222

I have a very short list of friends who rate freebies. These are people who have all done plenty of favors for me. We don't keep score, but I think it all balances out in the end.

I have a lawyer friend who helps me with contract and business-management issues. I've done plenty of work on her house, both electrical and non-electrical, and she has me over for meals pretty often (last night we had shrimp fajitas). She has also spread the word far and wide about me, resulting in lots of referrals that turned into lucrative jobs for me.

I have a carpenter friend whose wife (a graphic designer) designed my business cards, truck signs, and advertising. He has also referred me to several good jobs. I'm going to upgrade his service to 200A this fall, provided he pays for materials.

I have another friend who really put out the word and did countless favors for me when I was getting the business started. Got lots of good jobs from her referrals. She also feeds me pretty often and pretty well.

That's pretty much it for the friends who rate freebies.

Family also rates freebies, but logistics is a bit of a problem, as I'm a six-hour drive away. I once tried to get out of working on my sister's problematic house with the "I'm not licensed in your city" card, but when I talked to the chief inspector downtown and showed him my out-of-state credentials, he said he'd be happy to issue me a city license. Oops. :D

celtic

I will do work for FAMILY for free(if they allow it), but not for friends.
My BIL "forced" me to bill him for a basement finishing job...my number covered materials, permits , some gas and a few new hand tools ~ not a bad deal for either of us.

Friends on the other hand, will try and take advantage at any given opportunity...from asking you help them move(because you have a truck and they are too cheap to rent a U-haul) to inspecting/rewiring their "new home". The pay is usually some beer and a BBQ. For that pay, I'd rather paint, plumb or spackle...things I am not a "pro" at.

luke warmwater

I just climbed out of a very hot attic after installing cable tv into my 6 year old daughter's bedroom.

I couldn't charge her for the work, but I accepted a Big hug, kiss, and 'thank-you daddy'. :D

electricmanscott

Originally posted by luke warmwater:
I just climbed out of a very hot attic after installing cable tv into my 6 year old daughter's bedroom.

I couldn't charge her for the work, but I accepted a Big hug, kiss, and 'thank-you daddy'. :D
Another child lost to Spongebob. When will the madness stop. :D

fc

If your going to do work for family do it for free or don't do it at all.
And make sure they go to the supply house with you to buy the material because if they don't and you tell them how much it is they will think your screwing them and they will tell the whole family what kind of guy you are. Believe me it happened to me and I wanted kill my uncle for what he said.
So now I don't do any work for family Just my imitate family. As far as friends go I tell them I don't have time right now and I am so busy that it would be months before I could come and do the work. Then I recommend someone for them.

luckyshadow

I have and will continue to do free work for family. There is a very small list of friends that receive the free work status.
I worked on my brother in laws place no charge for labor, even threw in some material. The pay back, He is on my list of people to help me pour my garage floor. I got to work in his air conditioned house and he gets to work in the hot sun pulling concrete for me !! Seems like a fair trade to me :D

electricmanscott

To add to my earlier post. I work for myself and of course this is more than a 40 hour/week job. Much more. If I worked for a contractor for only 40 hours and that was it my thoughts would probably be different. If I do free work during the work day I am losing out on billable hours. As a sole proprietor that is a no no. With office work and actual field work I don't have much time to do family work. This time is better spent with family than working for family.

[ July 30, 2005, 08:05 PM: Message edited by: electricmanscott ]

stud696981

I only do work for free if it is a close friend or family member. These people have not only done me favors in the past, but would also being willing to help me out in the future. This list is very small.

Anyone else, I just make some excuses and get out of it. If I did the work for a small charge they would be upset if they even got it for half off because they simply want things done for nothing and have zero intentions on ever returning any favors.

Don't get me wrong, I do favors for people without things expected in return. But what ticks me off when I have done freebies in the past and only charged the exact price of materials, they look at me and act like I'm ripping them off.

Status
Not open for further replies.