fan boxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Re: fan boxes

Ryan is correct, but there have been a lot posts on this forum regarding them being required. It's not an NEC requirement but may be a local or state requirement.

mdshunk

While not NEC required, it is becoming an industry standard practice to wire with a fan rated box in any area or room that can physically accomodate a fan in the future.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

If in the nec where does it say all habitable rooms must have a ceiling fan rated ceiling box?
I agree with Ryan and would add that many habitable room do not even require a ceiling box.

While not NEC required, it is becoming an industry standard practice to wire with a fan rated box in any area or room that can physically accomodate a fan in the future
I agree, we always install them in kitchens, bedrooms etc. Having to go back and change just one when the HO decides that they want a fan (and it seems like they always do) makes up for the extra cost.

[ June 16, 2005, 09:14 PM: Message edited by: infinity ]

pierre

I don't know if this is an industry standard, as we do not see anyone here installing these boxes unless a fan is installed. There are more rooms than not that do not even have ceiling boxes, including bedrooms and family rooms, as these houses are being built as Spec homes.

D.Rater

Another case of protecting DIYers from themselves.Guessing what may be intalled
in the future is a slippery slope.I ask at rough-in if 'they' may want a fan, but as policy...?

celtic

No, it is not a code requirement.

I usually try and sell the HO the fan box/brace as one of my first "upgrades". It is so much cheaper to do it on a rough, than after the carpet is laid and the place occupied.

mdshunk

Originally posted by pierre:
I don't know if this is an industry standard, as we do not see anyone here installing these boxes unless a fan is installed. There are more rooms than not that do not even have ceiling boxes, including bedrooms and family rooms, as these houses are being built as Spec homes.
I'm quite surprised to learn that. You'd be hard pressed to go in any new construction in my area and find a room that doesn't have fan boxes installed. It's not just me. Every new resi EC in our local association is using fan boxes for new work, even in spec builds. A thread very similar to this one is just finished up on another board and most of the guys there responded that they were using fan boxes instead of regular ceiling boxes. Puzzled...

allenwayne

especially in spec homes,we wire to contract 3,3,3 phones, cable,c/f any extra are paid for.The nec doesn`t say we have to wire for ceiling fans just there has to be a switch to control a light.I can`t concieve wiring every light in a home with a fan rated box :confused:

In that senario closet,stairwell and hall surface mounted lights are fan rated ???? Some ome needsto pound sand

mdshunk

Originally posted by allenwayne:
In that senario closet,stairwell and hall surface mounted lights are fan rated ???? Some ome needsto pound sand
Nope, just the rooms where it would ever possibly make sense to put a fan. I guess that's just the difference between a spec build and a custom. I don't intend to twist anyone's arm into installing fan boxes ahead of time. I just wanted to make the observation that I'm surprised that they're not on board with that already.

One of my policies on a pretty much wholesale basis is to futureproof the wiring of the home as much as reasonably possible. Things like a full structured wiring load to all the jack plates, gentran panels, and fan boxes are some of the things that work toward this goal. I don't hold it against a guy who wires to the min spec... that's just another business model.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

I'm with Allen and Pierre on this one. In general, around here, Spec's are bare bones, and fan boxes are definutely an extra.

It makes sense to install fan boxes in high entries, dining rooms, etc in a large spec or custom home, as these are generally heavy fixtures, if not ceiling fans.

But a fan box in a spec bedroom is an extra around here.

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by mdshunk:
I'm quite surprised to learn that. You'd be hard pressed to go in any new construction in my area and find a room that doesn't have fan boxes installed. It's not just me. Every new resi EC in our local association is using fan boxes for new work, even in spec builds.
mdshunk, A fan box is not even required where a fan is installed. :D

[ June 18, 2005, 08:48 AM: Message edited by: iwire ]

allenwayne

Bob I think I know where you are going with this so I`ll just come back later to see if I am correct in my thinking ;)

mdshunk

Originally posted by iwire:
mdshunk, A fan box is not even required where a fan is installed. :D
True enough. If you put the long wood screws through the fan bracket, outboard of the box, and into some good wood above you could use a regular box. I'm not so sure that this is a method that very many use. I suppose that there are other methods to support a fan that doesn't totally rely on the box.

If a guy told me that he won't install a fan box unless it is specified, that's okay with me. I'm not trying to change any minds. To me, it's a fine idea.

apauling

In Sonoma ty, they require fan boxes that are listed for the weight, have heavier screws (#10). In Nevada Cty they allow a 3&1/2" pancake. Neither require box unless on plans.

paul

redfish

A fan box may not be required, however if you plan on installing a fan you must use a box that is listed or identified for support of paddle fans (2005 Code 314.27 & 422.18 ) If you choose not to use a fan box, the fan must be supported by the building structure and this is something more easily done during rough in. If you weigh the two options a fan box is definatly easier to install and not something you would want to do during your trim out. Paddle fan installation is also time consuming and this should be taken into consideration when adding up extras.

iwire

Staff member

Welcome to the forum redfish, yes it can be fun.

Originally posted by redfish:
A fan box may not be required, however if you plan on installing a fan you must use a box that is listed or identified for support of paddle fans (2005 Code 314.27 & 422.18 )
Neither of those sections require a listed fan box be used. A listed fan box is one of two options.

I have a large fan above me as I type this that is mounted over the existing box. The fan is screwed to the wooden structure. :)

redfish

originally posted by iwire:
I have a large fan above me as I type this that is mounted over an existig box. The fan is screwed to the wooden structure.
Does the canopy on the fan cover the existig box? I have noticed that when you fasten the fan hanger to the structure that the box is fastened to, the canopy will not completly cover the box unless the canopy is unusually large. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.