Status
Not open for further replies.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Re: fan boxes

Originally posted by iwire:
Neither of those sections require a listed fan box be used. A listed fan box is one of two options.
314.27(D) Boxes at Ceiling-Suspended (Paddle) Fan Outlets. Where a box is used as the sole support of a ceiling-suspended (paddle) fan, the box shall be listed for the application and for the weight of the fan to be supported. The installation shall comply with 422.18.
Uh, how does that not require a listed fan box at the fan? :) [/b] Of course, in so doing you can't void the listing of an existing box. :D

I figured I'd leave all that up there, I spent some quality time on it. :p

iwire

Staff member

George I second Charlie's thoughts.

I think it is very good that you left that whole post together. I also want to say I am no way putting down anyone that wants to put fan boxes in every room.

My point in this thread has been for people to actually read the rule and not just go from memory.

Having a good grasp of the NEC can save you money.

Most times I would install a fan box, but if I was hired to hang a fan in an existing building that did not have a fan box it would be good to know all my options.

The fan I have above me is not a pendent mount, the motor housing is about 12" in diameter and goes tight to the ceiling, it was very easy to secure it to the structure.

Had I not known that a fan box is not required I would installed a retrofit fan box which can be a pain.

gary

Occupation
Retired electrical contractor / general contractor

I too think it is a good idea to install fan rated boxes wherever a fan or heavy light fixture might reasonably be expected to be installed at some point during the life of the structure. I also run 12/3 or 14/3 to the box to support both a fan control & dimmer. I know you can buy expensive "smart fans" that are capable of multi-function control over two wires, but in most cases you're going to need that extra conductor to control a light kit.
I'm still looking for a foolproof method of dealing with vaulted ceilings. I just finished a job where I had to replace four out of seven fan boxes on a new house! A side-mount steel fan box works great for heavy light fixtures but not for fans. Some fans, like the Hunter's, require the mounting bracket attachment screws to be in line with the slope of the ceiling. Most other brands that use the familiar ball & socket hanger require the attachment screws to be perpendicular to the slope of the ceiling. The side-mount box doesn't work in either case because the mounting ears are at a 45 degree angle to the ceiling slope. Does anyone make a fan rated universal mounting bracket that would resolve this dilemma? I'm thinking of a heavy duty version of the round adapter with all the slots that often come with wall fixtures.

gary

Occupation
Retired electrical contractor / general contractor

I have used the Arlington boxes to mount fans at the apex of a ceiling and they work out quite well. That vaulted ceiling box looks very interesting and would certainly make it easier to mount any kind of fixture on a sloped ceiling. Arlington really does come up with some innovative products. Thanks for the suggestion!

allenwayne

That is a great product we have a custom builder that insists that the c/f be in the peak and they send s frsmer to frame out this ugly square mount so we can install a fan rated box.I`ll have the warehouse get some of those :D

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Scott, that is cool, I need to get some of those. :D

fb45.jpg

southernboys

scott very cool definitely something to remember. Ive got one for you guys Ive got a family room basic size prints call for me to install 4 fan boxes strictly for future use each with there own switch so now Ive got a 5 gang box with 4 switches hooked to nothing strictly future use any else ever seen something like this?

mdshunk

Yes, Arlington does make some of the coolest stuff. Their products are real problem solvers. They're making a new work outdoor receptacle box/bubble cover/j block all in one that's nearly flush with the surface. Sorry to hijack this thread, but it's the cat's meeow.
siding-red.jpg

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

I've used many of Arlington's devices. Unlike their own picture that MD posted, I always bring the cable into the box through an upper knockout, so water can't follow the cable into the wall.

electricmanscott

Originally posted by southernboys:
scott very cool definitely something to remember. Ive got one for you guys Ive got a family room basic size prints call for me to install 4 fan boxes strictly for future use each with there own switch so now Ive got a 5 gang box with 4 switches hooked to nothing strictly future use any else ever seen something like this?
Seen and done it. The best part is when the owners are trying to figure out what the switches control. :)

straps

Been useing Arlington fan Boxes for the past 8 years. Cieling Fans are my bread and butter.
Suggestion to all steer your customers away from Hunter Fans as they are built in the same factory in china as the Hampton Bay Fans the motors come down the assy line and on 1 side they are packing Hunter Fans on the opposite side they are packing the Hampton Bay Fans. The same motor goes into both fans and as we all know its the motor that makes the difference.
How do I know when I was working for Home Depot I did all of there displays and fan changeovers ( Every 6 months)I spoke with the Chineese Owners of the 3 fan manufacturers that Home Depot Uses and they clued me in

What I did was buy the 14 $ organizer from the HD ( Home Depot) it has removeable boxes in side it and I put all my extra screws by type by color in it so when 1 of my customers buys a fan and parts are missing I finish the fan and xerox the reciept take the empty box and reciept back to the closest HD Store and get a complete bag of hardware from the store and put it in my organizer. They fax back to the man he tells them to destroy the afn they get credit for there next order I get the hardware and every body is happy I end up with all the hardware I need for myself and my people and it is a wini win all way rond.
I steer my customers away from Lowes Fans as they are a pain in the neck to put together and they are time intensive.
Stick with the Huntington Series of HD Fan and installing a arlington pancake fan box and fan on average 45 minutes start to finish. I pre=print my invoices at home and just write in the customers name at the job and I rock tru 4 to 8 fans a day close to each other.I also carry the small hi hat hole saw with the cut evrything blade in the same box.
I love my new van many thanks with the ideas on it.
Regards to all hope I helped :cool: :cool:
South Florida Rocks :cool:

luke warmwater

Straps,
I don't know if that is bringing 'Hunter' down, or bringing 'Hampton Bay' up.

All Hunter fans have a Lifetime warranty. Only some of the Hampton Bay fans have the Lifetime warranty.

This happens in almost all types of equipment. Just look at bathroom exhaust fans. There are alot of different brands, but only a few manufacturers.
Same with speakers.
How 'bout Chevy and GM.

As a Stockholder in Home Depot, I must say that your technique is far from desireable. I'll leave it at that.

hurk27

Hunter Fans as they are built in the same factory in china as the Hampton Bay Fans
I thought that was old news? I found this out when I was contacting them for bad parts about 8 years ago.

Hunter was a good fan but in the last 10 years they have gotten cheep. :( But who can afford Casablanca) :( :(

Status
Not open for further replies.