fancy motion sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.

electricalperson

i have a job i need to do and the lady has an old motion sensor that doesnt work anymore and she wants it replaced. the old motion sensor worked like this:

it keeps the lights dim until there is motion and they go to full brilliance and it also turns on another low voltage (she told me it was low voltage) lamp inside the house to tell her that there was motion.

i know rab has the x-10 super stealth but EW supply house didnt have it in stock. i dont know if its an old x-10 set up or what

stickboy1375

This is levitons version of an x10 flood light. http://www.smarthome.com/4082.html
4082dgm1.jpg

Also try one of these...
http://www.smarthome.com/4080xt.html

electricalperson

well see what she says. but im willing to bet ill probably have to special order that rab x-10 super stealth and a x-10 receptacle for her. ill see if she wants to keep that installation anyway since the one she has now doesnt work too great thats why she wants it changed.

ceb58

electricalperson said:
it is an old fixture. im going to try to sell her a super stealth since drug addicts like to use her yard as a place to shoot up in

Maybe you should sell her on a heat detecting 50cal.:grin:

mdshunk

electricalperson said:
it keeps the lights dim until there is motion and they go to full brilliance and it also turns on another low voltage (she told me it was low voltage) lamp inside the house to tell her that there was motion.
I've put in customer-supplied fixtures like that before, and they were always Regent brand. I believe that is a house brand for Lowe's, and I suspect very much that Cooper is the OEM. Honestly, I don't put much faith in them. I only use RAB motion sensors, but I try to stay clear of me supplying motion sensors. They're a recipie for a sure callback.

peter d

mdshunk said:
I only use RAB motion sensors, but I try to stay clear of me supplying motion sensors. They're a recipie for a sure callback.

The guy I work for has always installed the Heath Zenith ones from with very few callbacks. I like Rab myself, but some of their sensors are pretty lame like the Gotcha. I think the Stealth is the only Rab sensor that can be relied upon.

mdshunk

peter d said:
The guy I work for has always installed the Heath Zenith ones from with very few callbacks. I like Rab myself, but some of their sensors are pretty lame like the Gotcha. I think the Stealth is the only Rab sensor that can be relied upon.
I agree. The Gotcha thing is junk. The Stealth is the only one I'll every buy on my own accord. RAB more or less invented motion sensors, and they're the innovators on the technology end. If the Watt-Stopper people start making one for outdoors, that might be the one to have. There sure do make great stuff for inside.

peter d

mdshunk said:
I agree. The Gotcha thing is junk. The Stealth is the only one I'll every buy on my own accord.

Yeah, we had a customer supply a Gotcha...you had to practically stand under it before it sensed any motion. :roll:

I alternate between the HZ and Rab stuff. HZ is good stuff for a good price, Rab is good for the long haul for more $$. Although I am impressed with the longevity of HZ.

Status
Not open for further replies.