Fast repair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Dairy called and said they were down. I had someone a few minutes away. I asked him later if he got it fixed and what did he do.

“Yes. Show up”. I congratulated him for his advanced service techniques, but No raise yet.
Phase monitors on all the coolers were Red when he got there but before he was done with voltage checks, everything started back up.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Probably utility dropped a leg. They fixed it by the time he started troubleshooting. We used to call these calls “Billy calls” because of a tech named Bill would always get those easy calls! LOL!

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Billy calls...
we had a billy that always got the easy calls, or he referred them to someone else if he couldn’t handle it.
yes, his name was really Billy...

😂🤣😅

mayanees

Occupation
Electrical Engineer and Master Electrician
POCO confirmed they did have a voltage swell. They didn't say the extent of the swell nor could they give a reason for it at this time.
On a related note, we're investigating an electrical outage at a facility in upstate NY where the ATS switched back and forth until it tripped both sources. Ultimately the ATS failed. When asked if we could see a report of electrical anomalies for that one-hour period, their response was only by subpoena. I think that's pretty telling as to where the problem originated.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
On a related note, we're investigating an electrical outage at a facility in upstate NY where the ATS switched back and forth until it tripped both sources. Ultimately the ATS failed. When asked if we could see a report of electrical anomalies for that one-hour period, their response was only by subpoena. I think that's pretty telling as to where the problem originated.
I get these requests occasionally but never really worry about them.
we do not guarantee uninterrupted power in any way.
i generally give the breaker count, what happened and SER.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
..When asked if we could see a report of ..that one-hour period, their response was only by subpoena. I think that's pretty telling as to where the problem originated.
Wow. Our POCO has volunteered location trouble whenever asked by phone. Never thought they were holding back, or thought to ask for it in writing.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Wow. Our POCO has volunteered location trouble whenever asked by phone. Never thought they were holding back, or thought to ask for it in writing.
Not sure what the POCO is hiding to require a subpoena...
it isn’t hard..
tree, car wreck, equipment failure, etc.. and where it happened.

mayanees

Occupation
Electrical Engineer and Master Electrician
Not sure what the POCO is hiding to require a subpoena...
it isn’t hard..
tree, car wreck, equipment failure, etc.. and where it happened.
It's Central Hudson.
The exact response was:
Good morning, That data would not be released unless requested by a court subpoena. If you have any additional quest...… Thank you.
There was a storm in the area at that time, and there was lightning so we hear. But Central Hudson's not sharing!

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
You have to remember this is NY. Any time there is a power problem or outage somebody is going to sue and the politicians will threaten to replace the utility with a publicly owned squirrel on a treadmill.

So, yeah. I can see why, when anybody wants information they take the fifth.

-Hal

ATSman

ATSman
Occupation
Electrical Engineer/ Electrical Testing & Controls
Attached is a condensed report of a call out to us (SFE) by a major Telco Central Office (CO) after power was lost to (3) 48V DC battery plants simultaneously. Since the rectifier problems were fixed the same day and the office was running off of the (3) battery plants, no service was lost to the CO. It was heard that the POCO settled with the Telco co for the damage to the 37 modules estimated at $750,000.

Attachments

• 13075 Field Service Report Condensed-1.pdf
    120.8 KB · Views: 13

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Attached is a condensed report of a call out to us (SFE) by a major Telco Central Office (CO) after power was lost to (3) 48V DC battery plants simultaneously. Since the rectifier problems were fixed the same day and the office was running off of the (3) battery plants, no service was lost to the CO. It was heard that the POCO settled with the Telco co for the damage to the 37 modules estimated at $750,000.
I don’t understand why the POCO paid.
the OV was only about 6-8% over nominal for a 480 service.
Caps come in and out often in heavy industrial areas

ATSman

ATSman
Occupation
Electrical Engineer/ Electrical Testing & Controls
I don’t understand why the POCO paid.
the OV was only about 6-8% over nominal for a 480 service.
Caps come in and out often in heavy industrial areas

The voltage transients (OV) were much higher than what the meter is capable of recording, I figure in the thousands of volts and micro second time.
It is just that the panel meters are not sophisticated enough (response time) to capture them.
A 3 phase dranetz 658 power line disturbance analyzer or single phase Fluke 43B would be required in this case.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
The voltage transients (OV) were much higher than what the meter is capable of recording, I figure in the thousands of volts and micro second time.
It is just that the panel meters are not sophisticated enough (response time) to capture them.
A 3 phase dranetz 658 power line disturbance analyzer or single phase Fluke 43B would be required in this case.
Still not sure why they paid if the event wasn’t captured.
transients happen. It’s the nature of the beast.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
Just ask PG&E! After what Cali did to them, I can see why they are tight lipped!
In the PG&E case, I believe there was a paper trail sent to customers notifying them of scheduled outages for repairs.

Those written notices may have been used to prove the policy of this utility was to operate poorly-maintained equipment until just before catastrophic failure was expected.

Whatever the exact story, this utility has become the village idiot for what happens when such written evidence is voluntarily given to the public.

From now on, I would not expect any utility to provide straight answers without being subpoenaed.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
30+ years ago I was working at a sawmill in Washington State and a storm hit in the mountains above this town, causing a power loss when an avalanche hit the lines. When it came back on a few days later the PoCo had swapped phases, so EVERYTHING in the mill ran backward for about 5 minutes; the time it took us to figure out what was happening and get to the main service disconnect. It caused over $1 million in machinery damage. Puget Sound Energy paid for it all though, then they paid us to add Phase Monitor Relays to the mill and virtually everyone else with 3 phase equipment on that line... That was a good year... for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.