Fast repair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ATSman

ATSman
Occupation
Electrical Engineer/ Electrical Testing & Controls
30+ years ago I was working at a sawmill in Washington State and a storm hit in the mountains above this town, causing a power loss when an avalanche hit the lines. When it came back on a few days later the PoCo had swapped phases, so EVERYTHING in the mill ran backward for about 5 minutes; the time it took us to figure out what was happening and get to the main service disconnect. It caused over $1 million in machinery damage. Puget Sound Energy paid for it all though, then they paid us to add Phase Monitor Relays to the mill and virtually everyone else with 3 phase equipment on that line... That was a good year... for us.
Jraef, thank you for pointing out that there are instances where the PoCo does (or is forced to) step up to the plate and assume liability for
damages caused by delivering power to customers. Unlike my story, which appeared to be caused by a lack of maintenance, I am surprised that they paid out after what you described as an "Act of God."

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Jraef, thank you for pointing out that there are instances where the PoCo does (or is forced to) step up to the plate and assume liability for
damages caused by delivering power to customers. Unlike my story, which appeared to be caused by a lack of maintenance, I am surprised that they paid out after what you described as an "Act of God."
Well, the act of god was the downed power lines. They didn’t pay out for that, they paid out for the damage caused by their reconnecting in reverse.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Well, the act of god was the downed power lines. They didn’t pay out for that, they paid out for the damage caused by their reconnecting in reverse.
Yep...
I would think any company would be liable for what amounts to poor workmanship. And not getting it right or at least checking when it came back on is a no-no..

we have had a three phase line torn down many times throughout the years. We record rotation at our meterbase or CT metering when it’s installed, just for that reason.

even then, before we turn it on and we aren’t 100% sure, we are going to have your representative there to double check the rotation and voltages when we energize the line.

kwired

Electron manager
I had a case one time where after repairs POCO checked rotation but never checked to ensure high leg was in correct position. They paid for damages it caused.

kwired

Electron manager
I had un underground repair where I got the phases mixed. It was a grounded delta with only three wires to the pivot. When the farmer went to check direction after power was restored by POCO, he called me. We were both lucky.

yes you were, those are typically 480 volts to ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.