Fastened in Place need Dedicated Circuit

Had a discussion with some clients and other electrician. They have a new project where they install a animal dryer, they say pull about 13 amps. It will basically be at one location at the sink area. I informed them the most likely will have to have a dedicated circuit, especially if it is 'fastened' in place even if it is cord and plug connected, plugged into a duplex receptacle, (technically a code violation in my opinion on a 20amp branch circuit can only supply single receptacle not duplex will have to gfci protection another way). There was push back and stated that its not needed and they 'do it ' all the time.

Am I missing something on the definition of 'fastened in place'? Only definition I have found is Article 625, not in 100 of the NEC 2020. They did say the dryer is 'secured' to wall and it draws 12.7 amps (basically 13 amps). Thats more than 50% of the branch circuit rating, so no other outlets (other receptacles in this case) can be supplied by it per NEC.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
What you are describing is an appliance.

2023 NEC 422.1 Enhanced content: "Article 422 covers appliances that are fastened in place or cord-and-plug-connected, such as air-conditioning units, dishwashers, heating appliances, water heaters, and infrared heating lamps. See Article 100 for the definition of appliance."

Try 422.10(A) for branch circuit requirements.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
They did say the dryer is 'secured' to wall and it draws 12.7 amps (basically 13 amps). Thats more than 50% of the branch circuit rating, so no other outlets (other receptacles in this case) can be supplied by it per NEC.
What code section says this?

What code section says this?
As others have already stated. Its 210.23(A)(2). Utilization equipment Fastened in place. The total rating of utilization equipment fastened in place other than luminaries, shall not exceed 50 percent of the branch circuit amper rating where lighting units, cord and plug connected utilization equipment not fastened in place, or both, are also supplied.

Basically , this would required any equipment above 10 amps fastened in place to have a dedicated circuit from a 20 amp branch circuit (breaker).

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Basically , this would required any equipment above 10 amps fastened in place to have a dedicated circuit from a 20 amp branch circuit (breaker).
That's not true for two fastened in place appliances which can both be on the same branch circuit even if one is more than 10 amps.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
You are correct. My mistake. So long as it is "fastened" in place. 😉
Yes something like a fastened in place garbage disposals and dishwashers on the same circuit. One could draw 15 amps and the other could draw 5 amps and it would still be code compliant. The 50% rule would only apply if there were lighting and/or not fastened in place appliances plugged into receptacles.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
For the 2023 the definition is now in article 100 and says the exact opposite of what I always thought:
Mounting means of equipment in which the fastening means are specifically designed to permit removal without the use of a tool
To me if somthing is "fastened-in place" it is attached in a way that a tool is required for removal..

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
You omitted the "(625)" following the definition, which means it only applies to Article 625.

Cheers, Wayne
Thanks I did not catch that parentheses change under scope, I bet that is going to confuse a few others.