Faux sump pump alarm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Question.

I rewire the pumps (getting power from where is something else).

I sell and install the "bug".

Something happens with the bug or pumps. The basement floods.
Where does that leave the electrician who was only trying to do the right job?

During a violent thunderstorm, your client's fire alarm system gets fried by a strike, which coincidently starts a fire. No signal goes to the central station and he suffers a loss. Are you responsible? No. It's a fact of life that stuff breaks or fails to operate as planned. That's why HE carries insurance. The measures you are investigating are to REDUCE the risk, not ELIMINATE the risk. And, you're likely to have a better leg to stand on if it all goes pear-shaped if you use a commercial product rather than "roll your own".

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
then tie where? gathering a low voltage relay to energize an audio visual as what I was thinking with the 120v float switch?

Well you could use the low voltage relay to trip a local notification appliance as I suggested earlier, OR tie it to a supervised zone on the security system. That relay will trip on alarm or on power loss so the security system (or fire alarm panel for that matter) can do whatever it needs to to alert the owner.

Aleman

I just did a sump job, 2 pumps and 3 floats. The pumps both have starters with overloads. The starters have their own breakers. A tiny little PLC runs it.
That way the aux contacts or overload contacts can be wired in to the control. The PLC has it's own fuse so hopefully if a pump fails it will trip an
overload or breaker and leave the control powered. That way the hi float still works and can trip an alarm, or overload or float failure can do the same.

But for a typical sump pumps with built in switches, you would have to have a separate powered hi float for an alarm with lights and buzzers etc. Pump fails,
float switch gets made, alarm happens. Could do it cheap.

Or just a piece of tape and pretend it's a light or buzzer :p

Status
Not open for further replies.