Federal Pacific parts

User Name

Occupation
Electrician
Anyone know if there's anyone out there selling old fuse box parts? I've got a Federal Pacific, the customer some how broke their 30 amp 2p fuse pullout for their AC. I told them it's time to retire that panel but they can't afford it at the moment. I've looked around and so far I've found 1 of what I'm looking for on eBay for $79, but that's about it. I'd post a picture but no matter how small I resize my pictures it won't post them because they're too big 🤷‍♂️.

kwired

Electron manager
I'd probably be making a tap to a individual breaker enclosure adjacent to the original panel somehow.

$79 plus expedited shipping if you want it as quick as possible probably not worth it. And even if they send it next day service doesn't necessarily mean it will be shipped same day you ordered it.

User Name

Occupation
Electrician
I'd probably be making a tap to a individual breaker enclosure adjacent to the original panel somehow.

$79 plus expedited shipping if you want it as quick as possible probably not worth it. And even if they send it next day service doesn't necessarily mean it will be shipped same day you ordered it.
I was looking into a subpanel also. Thought it would be cool if I could find that pullout and just plug it in. This isn't any emergency, they broke the thing last year and lived without the AC, I was to busy to mess with it and told them to get someone else and they never did.

CoolWill

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
$79 for an obsolete part seems pretty reasonable compared to what it will cost them to have a subpanel installed. But who knows what condition that fuse holder is in? Since they like fuses so much, you could tap the line side of the panel and set a fused disconnect for the A/C. This way, they get what they need but without the expandability of a subpanel. It forces them to upgrade if they want more.

User Name

Occupation
Electrician
$79 for an obsolete part seems pretty reasonable compared to what it will cost them to have a subpanel installed. But who knows what condition that fuse holder is in? Since they like fuses so much, you could tap the line side of the panel and set a fused disconnect for the A/C. This way, they get what they need but without the expandability of a subpanel. It forces them to upgrade if they want more.
Yeah I don't think they like the fuses just can't afford a new service upgrade. A fused disconnect is an alright idea, Id probably try shuffle some of the smaller branch circuits around to try and free up 2 screw in fuses, so I could screw in 30 amp fuses and feed off that. A lot of dinking around when I know that service has to go eventually.

User Name

Occupation
Electrician
I guess I should add...I know how I could make something work, but right now I'm just curious if anyone's knows anybody that deals in vintage electrical parts. There might be guys out there sitting on all kinds of parts but don't have them individually up for sale on the internet for me to find.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Look up “breaker brokers” in your area, or search for the “PEARL” (Professional Electrical Apparatus Recyclers League). They generally deal in old breakers and related gear, but some will handle fuse boxes too.

Harder to find than I thought because there are so many things with pearl in them…

James L

Occupation
Electrician
lol, statements like that just feed my tendency to want to be a pack rat…
I get, for sure.
I was taking it apart, and thinking of all the issues with Federal Pacific breakers and panels. Iwas like

ya know, this is a darn good looking piece of Fed Pac equipment. Maybe I should....nah, nobody's gonna need anything out of this

🤦🤦🤦🤦

User Name

Occupation
Electrician
Finally got this ordeal over with. I found a fuse pull out on eBay, even came with fuses. Went to the customers house and said, before I plug this thing in, I need to know what happened in cause there's something wrong. Guy goes, man I don't know, meth is a hell of a drug. I'm like oh my god what'd I get into this time... guy goes hey I got more problems, the disconnect for the AC, the pull out for that is missing too. I'm really regretting this now. I said I'll plug the panel fuses in, make sure that's good, and replace the disconnect. Did all that, said to myself, better look inside the AC itself, freaking capacitor missing in it. I'm like wtf... Told them I got the power back on but you're going to have to get an HVAC guy on the missing parts for the AC. Got paid in cash and TF out of there lol.