feed thru panels still around?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GerryB

My situation is a 125amp Federal Pacific main breaker in the condo basement feeding a FP panel upstairs in the unit, all to be changed. The basement main is tapped to a small box for the dryer breaker. My thought is to get a main lug panel, put a 125a in with a main kit, then install another 125a to feed upstairs and a 30a for the dryer. I don't need the second 125a if I can get a feed thru but the only ones I've seen were old sq d or large commercial/industrial panels.

kwired

Electron manager
My situation is a 125amp Federal Pacific main breaker in the condo basement feeding a FP panel upstairs in the unit, all to be changed. The basement main is tapped to a small box for the dryer breaker. My thought is to get a main lug panel, put a 125a in with a main kit, then install another 125a to feed upstairs and a 30a for the dryer. I don't need the second 125a if I can get a feed thru but the only ones I've seen were old sq d or large commercial/industrial panels.

As far as the smaller "loadcenters" go there is some out there. Square D has some - I believe they are all in NEMA 3R enclosures but that doesn't mean they absolutely can not be used indoors either. Try catalog numberQO1612M125FTRB or Homeline has them but only in 150 and 200 amp main breaker versions. Homeline does have one with "universal mains" - 200 amp bus, 200 amp feed thru lugs, no main lugs or main breaker - you need to supply whichever you need separately.

kwired

Electron manager
I have not seen feed thru panels that were less than 200 amps but then again we never had a need for them.
I have used the 200 amp version of the one I mentioned before many times. It works great when you need a service disconnecting means on exterior of a building, need to supply the air conditioner, or a detached structure, or another circuit or two from that location, and then a 200 amp feeder to another location in the building. Also works great for Mobile homes with 200 amp distribution panels. (There are a few around, especially should they have electric heating) You have your service disconnecting means, sub feed lugs to connect the home to, and extra spaces for aux structures if needed. I have also used them many times when supplying a home with 200 amps, but because of the property layout I am maybe hitting a garage or other structure before hitting the house.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I have used the 200 amp version of the one I mentioned before many times. It works great when you need a service disconnecting means on exterior of a building, need to supply the air conditioner, or a detached structure, or another circuit or two from that location, and then a 200 amp feeder to another location in the building. Also works great for Mobile homes with 200 amp distribution panels. (There are a few around, especially should they have electric heating) You have your service disconnecting means, sub feed lugs to connect the home to, and extra spaces for aux structures if needed. I have also used them many times when supplying a home with 200 amps, but because of the property layout I am maybe hitting a garage or other structure before hitting the house.

Yep we use the feed thru panel also. We call them trailer panels and they are pretty cheap. They are great when you have an interior panel and an a/c or pool coming from the exterior panel.

kwired

Electron manager
Yep we use the feed thru panel also. We call them trailer panels and they are pretty cheap. They are great when you have an interior panel and an a/c or pool coming from the exterior panel.

If you need one that is less than 125 amps, you can probably use a main lug panel, back feed a main - using appropriate main breaker hold down kit, and use the main lugs as the subfeed lugs. I have done that before also.

GerryB

If you need one that is less than 125 amps, you can probably use a main lug panel, back feed a main - using appropriate main breaker hold down kit, and use the main lugs as the subfeed lugs. I have done that before also.

Ooh, I didn't think of that. Good idea. The 125a breaker is about $60, no big deal , but it seems neater with just one. I have never used a hold down kit that didn't go where the main lugs were so I'll have to check that.

kwired

Electron manager
Ooh, I didn't think of that. Good idea. The 125a breaker is about $60, no big deal , but it seems neater with just one. I have never used a hold down kit that didn't go where the main lugs were so I'll have to check that.

I think most loadcenters will accept a back fed main and hold down kit, but may be limited to a particular space in the panel to place it, quite often the top left two spaces (if oriented with mains on the top).

Status
Not open for further replies.