Feeder and Branch circuit calculations for Hydraulic Lift Table

kloc5

Occupation
Controls Manager
Hello,

I am working on a control panel for a piece of equipment that will have a hydraulic lift table (https://www.mcmaster.com/8758T37/). As I understand it, this lift table is just a motor driving a hydraulic pump to go up and a valve that opens to go down with a pendant with up / down buttons (which we will replace with automatic control). It is 120V, single phase. On their website, it lists the motor full load current as 15A. However, I reached out to McMaster and got the motor info, which is a single phase 115V 1/2 HP motor.

I initially started calculating the branch circuit breaker and branch wires for the single-phase 115V 1/2HP motor using Table 430.248. My question is, when calculating the branch breakers and wire size and then the feeder fuses and wire size, should I treat this lift as a single phase 1/2 HP motor (and use its FLC) or treat it like a 15A "black box" as McMaster lists the current?

The lift also does not have overload protection, so I was going to add one according to the motor's nameplate FLA. However, this doesn't make sense if treating it as a 15A "black box".

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
The lift also does not have overload protection…
In a lot of cases, small 120V single phase motors will be “thermally protected”, meaning you don’t need to add external OL protection (unless you want to). That will show on the motor nameplate. Sometimes it is just abbreviated “TP”. If it doesn’t specifically say something to that effect, you have to assume it doesn’t.

retirede

In a lot of cases, small 120V single phase motors will be “thermally protected”, meaning you don’t need to add external OL protection (unless you want to). That will show on the motor nameplate. Sometimes it is just abbreviated “TP”. If it doesn’t specifically say something to that effect, you have to assume it doesn’t.

If I have a complete machine/appliance/tool/whatever, that comes with a 5-15 cord and plug, it had better not require me to provide the OL protection.