Feeder cable size

Status
Not open for further replies.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I have feeder breaker 400A that has feeder cable 500kcmil CU feeding 400A MLO panel A.

Panel A demand load comes out to 390A both continuous and non continuous load.

Would the feeder cable size of 500kcmil ok or does it need to be upsized?

Assume 75C
Somehow, we are making a mountain out of a mole hill. According to your post, you are doing plans review and you show a 390 amp load on a 500 kcmil conductor.
Reject it !!!! Send it back ! You have done your job.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
I wonder, since it's a feeder (probably inside)

What's the ambient temperature?

380 amps is at 86 degrees farenheit.
If your ambient temperature is lower than 86 degrees, your 500 kcmil is good for 410 amps

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
I wonder, since it's a feeder (probably inside)

What's the ambient temperature?

380 amps is at 86 degrees farenheit.
If your ambient temperature is lower than 86 degrees, your 500 kcmil is good for 410 amps
You would still have the 110.14 limitations to the 75deg rating

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
I'm not sure what you think you see there that would affect the ampacity of a conductor relative to ambient temperature
Doesn't affect the ampacity of the conductor, but he's still limited to terminate at the 75 deg ampacity due to the 110.14 limits.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
Doesn't affect the ampacity of the conductor, but he's still limited to terminate at the 75 deg ampacity due to the 110.14 limits.
75 degrees is not an ampacity, it's a temperature.

If you look at allowable ampacities for conductors, they're based on a particular ambient temperature - 86 degrees farenheit.

There are allowable adjustments if you have a temperature other than 86 degrees.

I was mistaken about the proposed adjusted ampacity (I added by 8% which is the 60 degree column)

75 degree ambient temperature adjustment is 5%

380 x 1.05 = 399

That is, if his ambient temperature is lower than 78 degrees farenheit or 26 degrees celcius

Attachments

• 20210711_082841.jpg
    20210711_082841.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 3

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
(C) Temperature Limitations. The temperature rating associ ated with the ampacity of a conductor shall be selected and coordinated so as not to exceed the lowest temperature rating of any connected termination, conductor, or device. Conductors with temperature ratings higher than specified for termi nations shall be permitted to be used for ampacity adjustment, correction, or both.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
(C) Temperature Limitations. The temperature rating associ ated with the ampacity of a conductor shall be selected and coordinated so as not to exceed the lowest temperature rating of any connected termination, conductor, or device. Conductors with temperature ratings higher than specified for termi nations shall be permitted to be used for ampacity adjustment, correction, or both.
If the ambient temperature is lower than 78 degrees fahrenheit, then 399 amps would be under 75 degrees Celsius.

Like I said, temperature and amperage aren't the same thing.

If the ambient temperature was 50 degrees Fahrenheit, that 500kcmil conductor and all the terminals would be good for 475 amps, and would not exceed 75 degrees Celsius

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If the ambient temperature is lower than 78 degrees fahrenheit, then 399 amps would be under 75 degrees Celsius.

Like I said, temperature and amperage aren't the same thing.

If the ambient temperature was 50 degrees Fahrenheit, that 500kcmil conductor and all the terminals would be good for 475 amps, and would not exceed 75 degrees Celsius
In 35 years I have never seen an installation where you could use an ambient temperature below 30° C so for me it's not something that will ever have a real world use. Regarding the OP the same thing is probably true.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
So one has to look out for number of current carrying conductors in conduit adjustment, ambient temperatures adjustment too?

well I am confused. Does ambient temperature apply to conductors cables only or to the terminations temperature or both?

James L

Occupation
Electrician
So one has to look out for number of current carrying conductors in conduit adjustment, ambient temperatures adjustment too?

well I am confused. Does ambient temperature apply to conductors cables only or to the terminations temperature or both?
Both, because ambient temperature directly affects the operating temperature of conductors and connections.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
In 35 years I have never seen an installation where you could use an ambient temperature below 30° C so for me it's not something that will ever have a real world use.
Why is that? Are you suggesting you've never installed wiring in an atmosphere where temperature is controlled to always be below 86 degrees farenheit?

I sure have.

That's why I asked if it's indoors.
If it's a feeder, most likely never see temps above 75 degrees - which is low enough to add 5% to the ampacity.

OP problem is fixed

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
Both, because ambient temperature directly affects the operating temperature of conductors and connections.
That would seem to make sense from physics.

But 110.14(C) is generally understood not to allow or require temperature correction at terminations. I believe the citation is the (2017) portion of 110.14(C)(1) that says ". . . conductor ampacities used in determining equipment termination provisions shall be based on Table 310.15(B)(16) as appropriately modified by 310.15(B)(7)." Since that section references the tables directly, without referencing ampacity correction or adjustment, those do not apply for equipment terminations.

Cheers, Wayne

James L

Occupation
Electrician
That would seem to make sense from physics.

But 110.14(C) is generally understood not to allow or require temperature correction at terminations. I believe the citation is the (2017) portion of 110.14(C)(1) that says ". . . conductor ampacities used in determining equipment termination provisions shall be based on Table 310.15(B)(16) as appropriately modified by 310.15(B)(7)." Since that section references the tables directly, without referencing ampacity correction or adjustment, those do not apply for equipment terminations.

Cheers, Wayne
Yes, but how many amps is a termination rated for? As far as I know, they aren't. They're rated for temperature. It's possible they are rated for amperage. In that case, a larger lug would suffice.

But the amperage required to reach that "max operating" temperature depends partly on ambient temperature

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
Yes, but how many amps is a termination rated for? As far as I know, they aren't.
That is an interesting question. I think it has been suggested that an equipment termination rated at 75C accepting a maximum wire size of, say, #3 Cu must be rated for 100A. Not sure about that.

Regardless, the point of the text in 110.14(C)(1) is that the termination ampacity check is a direct table lookup--you don't apply correction or adjustment factors. So at the termination you can't take credit for a lower than typical ambient temperature.

Cheers, Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.