Feeder Conductor ampacity

Status
Not open for further replies.

electro7

Occupation
Electrician, Solar and Electrical Contractor
Understood ggunn. Yes I knew that, hence the upgrading of both sub-panels B1 and B2 to 200A rated, and downsizing the main from 400A to 350A.

My concern is 100A of solar OCPD exporting through #4 THHN. Existing feeders from B1 to B2 are #4 THHN and are protected by 100A breaker. B2 is in a guest house. Inverter max output currents are 47.5A and 32A, two inverters. What are your thoughts? 100A of solar OCPD exporting through #4 THHN okay?

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Understood ggunn. Yes I knew that, hence the upgrading of both sub-panels B1 and B2 to 200A rated, and downsizing the main from 400A to 350A.

My concern is 100A of solar OCPD exporting through #4 THHN. Existing feeders from B1 to B2 are #4 THHN and are protected by 100A breaker. B2 is in a guest house. Inverter max output currents are 47.5A and 32A, two inverters. What are your thoughts? 100A of solar OCPD exporting through #4 THHN okay?
If the main breaker on the sub is sized appropriately for the feeder conductors it should also protect them from the backfed current from the inverters.

electro7

Occupation
Electrician, Solar and Electrical Contractor
If the main breaker on the sub is sized appropriately for the feeder conductors it should also protect them from the backfed current from the inverters.

Are you saying it is OKAY to interconnect 100A of solar OCPD on sub-panel B2 that has a 100A main breaker with #4 THHN feeder conductors? B2 sub-panel is on a guest house- dwelling unit according to code definition.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Are you saying it is OKAY to interconnect 100A of solar OCPD on sub-panel B2 that has a 100A main breaker with #4 THHN feeder conductors? B2 sub-panel is on a guest house- dwelling unit according to code definition.
I'm saying that I believe, in general, if the conductors feeding a panel are correctly sized for the OCPD protecting that panel, then if you land a backfed breaker in that panel and the bus is qualified under one of the sections 705.12(D)(2)(3), the feeder conductor size should be OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.