Feeder from 480V switchgear to MCC in a separate building

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isaiah

Occupation
Electrical Inspector
I have a 480V CB located in a building approximately 100 feet from a new MCC in a prefabricated building. The MCC bus is rated 1200A and does not have a MCB; it’s MLO. Is this a code violation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buck Parrish

What code cycle? There was some significant changes in 17 and 20 ....NEC 230.71
It's my understanding grouping of six switches is no longer allowed if it's in one unit, box or panel.
If it is six separate panels with six mains that's okay.
The NFPA doesn't want some one to be able to add or change a breaker by only turning off part of the equipment.

The manufacturers may have redesigned some panels to allow it by adding dividers. (Some one else will chime in on specifics)

Last edited:

Isaiah

Occupation
Electrical Inspector
It’s a 480V MCC with 7 sections and multiple combination starters, circuit breakers etc. It has a MCB rated 1200A and it’s fed from another 1200A CB in a remote building.

Isaiah

Occupation
Electrical Inspector
I have a 480V CB located in a building approximately 100 feet from a new MCC in a prefabricated building. The MCC bus is rated 1200A and does not have a MCB; it’s MLO. Is this a code violation?

I meant it DOES NOT have a MCB.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Section 225.32 EX 1 allows the disconnecting means to be elsewhere on the premises,
  • if under single management,
  • documented safe switching procedures are used
  • installation monitored by qualified individuals

jap

Occupation
Electrician
What code cycle? There was some significant changes in 17 and 20 ....NEC 230.71
It's my understanding grouping of six switches is no longer allowed if it's in one unit, box or panel.
If it is six separate panels with six mains that's okay.
The NFPA doesn't want some one to be able to add or change a breaker by only turning off part of the equipment.

The manufacturers may have redesigned some panels to allow it by adding dividers. (Some one else will chime in on specifics)

This is a Feeder not a service.

JAP>

Status
Not open for further replies.