Feeder to building nearest point of entry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
I did not get dinged but he said it’s not really correct.
I have a meter and fussed disconnect remotely and a feeder comming in through a large walkable slab foundation. It comes through the side and I lb up and over 6 feet to the opposite side of the exterior wall.
Is nearest point of entry considered through the floor to panel or as soon as the pipe emerges though the ground.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
Same guy said on o ther job the 6 disconnect rule building does not apply if the panel has spaces for more breakers, so someone down the road could add another breaker.
He is wrong on this situation, but I think he is right on my OP question

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I did not get dinged but he said it’s not really correct.
I have a meter and fussed disconnect remotely and a feeder comming in through a large walkable slab foundation. It comes through the side and I lb up and over 6 feet to the opposite side of the exterior wall.
Is nearest point of entry considered through the floor to panel or as soon as the pipe emerges though the ground.
That would not be "nearest the point of entry" for me, but it is a subjective rule and only your AHJ knows.

It is my opinion that nearest the point of entry means you enter the building and go directly into the service equipment, or where there is an elevation change, you enter the building and go up or down into the service equipment.

Our city has take the subjective out of this rule with an amendment that specifies a maximum of 10' of service conductor between the point of entry and the service equipment and also requires that all service conductors be in either rigid or IMC.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
I figured. At least he passed it lol.
He a new inspector so I have to figure he opinion on the vague parts of the NEC
I guess I could encapsulate the pipe in 2” of concrete to then be compliant

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
It seems dump for a feeder with a disconnect already outside.
If it was a complete slab I could put a meter out side and install the panel dead center of the house.
But a feeder with protection. In an open crawl has to be straight up from entry.
It’s a rant I know I could do a public input lol.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
It seems dump for a feeder with a disconnect already outside.
If it was a complete slab I could put a meter out side and install the panel dead center of the house.
But a feeder with protection. In an open crawl has to be straight up from entry.
It’s a rant I know I could do a public input lol.
I am sorry, I missed the fused disconnect outside. There are no special rules for the conductors that are connected to the load side of that disconnect.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
I am sorry, I missed the fused disconnect outside. There are no special rules for the conductors that are connected to the load side of that disconnect.
Would not 225.32 apply, then that leads you to 230.6. Then that states what is still considered outside building.
Are you saying a feeder with a remote fused disconnect does not apply to nearest point of entry when entering building….?

retirede

Would not 225.32 apply, then that leads you to 230.6. Then that states what is still considered outside building.
Are you saying a feeder with a remote fused disconnect does not apply to nearest point of entry when entering building….?

Conductors protected at their ampacity can basically be run any distance through the building. It’s unprotected service conductors and feeder taps that are restricted.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
Exactly where is this fused disconnect outside?

If it's on the building, 225.32 is satisfied. If it's on a post 5 feet away from the building, I guess 225.32 is satisfied?

If it's inside another building, then 225.32 applies to the disconnect inside the subject building. If it's on a post 50 feet away, I guess 225.32 applies to the disconnect inside the subject building?

Cheers, Wayne

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
its about 40 feet away in sight of building

That doesn't count. You need a disconnect as soon as possible from the point of entry. Imo, if you are in the ground and under a slab then the entry is where the pipe arises from the slab.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
This is from the 2020 Nec

225.32 Location.

The disconnecting means shall be installed either inside or outside of the building or structure served or where the conductors pass through the building or structure. The disconnecting means shall be at a readily accessible location nearest the point of entrance of the conductors. For the purposes of this section, the requirements in 230.6 shall be utilized.
Exception No. 1:
For installations under single management, where documented safe switching procedures are established and maintained for disconnection, and where the installation is monitored by qualified individuals, the disconnecting means shall be permitted to be located elsewhere on the premises.
Exception No. 2:
For buildings or other structures qualifying under Article 685, the disconnecting means shall be permitted to be located elsewhere on the premises.
Exception No. 3:
For towers or poles used as lighting standards, the disconnecting means shall be permitted to be located elsewhere on the premises.
Exception No. 4:
For poles or similar structures used only for support of signs installed in accordance with Article 600, the disconnecting means shall be permitted to be located elsewhere on the premises.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I treat the "nearest point of entry" a lot differently than the service one. For a feeder, I look more at how easy it is to get to the disconnect than how close it is to the point of entry.

However the code language is still the same and is a judgement call by the AHJ. Most, that I know, permit more distance for the feeder than for the service.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
I
I treat the "nearest point of entry" a lot differently than the service one. For a feeder, I look more at how easy it is to get to the disconnect than how close it is to the point of entry.

However the code language is still the same and is a judgement call by the AHJ. Most, that I know, permit more distance for the feeder than for the service.
makes sense, seems like the vagueness should be taken out. Maybe a predetermined distance with a exception for for line of sight from disconnect. Something so we don’t have to fight with new inspector on the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.