Feeders from one property to another

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChargedUp

An outdoor interconnected electrical power production source (NEC 705) is proposed to be installed at one property (1st property) and interconnect to that property's electrical service via line side tap at service entrance MCB within the building's electrical room. Additionally at same proposed location, another outdoor interconnected electrical power production source is proposed to have it's feeder route up the wall and across the roof of the 1st property's building in rigid metal conduit, then back down the wall on the other side and transition to underground across the street to interconnect to a separate electrical service via line side tap at service entrance MCB at 2nd property/building. Both properties are under single management.

The outdoor interconnected power production sources are not considered a separately derived service and are always classified as a feeder, not a secondary. The alternate power production source utilizes IEEE1547 compliant utility interactive inverters, i.e. if the service is down, the inverters are down. From a fire safety standpoint, if the fire department opens the MCB at either service, since the inverters are line side tapped at the MCB, they still would sense voltage from the grid if it was still energized, remain online and back-feed into the grid - push button shunt trips however could be provided at each existing service disconnect location. Both production sources have local disconnects and emergency shutoff as well.

As it relates to the above statements, 225.30 or 230.2 could be appropriate here, and both have special conditions that allow parallel power production systems. Both feeders will will have fused disconnects at each end of the run at the feeder entrance into the buildings and the line side tap from the disconnect to the existing electrical system is 25' max and compliant with tap rules.

Initial thoughts on the above being NEC code compliant? Specifically parallel production source originating at one property and supplying grid parallel power to a separate service/property...

Any feedback is appreciated. Ultimately, we will also likely be reaching out the the AHJ for their take prior to getting too far into the design.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
I'm assuming from your description that the feeder traversing a building to another propety is the AC inverter output, not DC. If so, as long as you have a disconnect at the 1st property for that feeder, I see no issues with the NEC. You'll need approved signage on both buildings per 705.10. Also it's unclear if rapid shutdown is required but that doesn't seem to be the question. If the feeder were DC that complicates things slightly, but still no fundamental NEC prohibition on it.

So yeah, fine by the NEC.

That said, I wish you luck lining up permits, utility interconnection applications, and whatever legal easements are required so that your plan goes off without a hitch. It isn't the NEC that I'm worried about for you.

ChargedUp

Thanks for the reply jaggedben. Yes, the feeder traversing the 1st building to 2nd property is AC output. It has a disconnect at 1st property for that feeder, and a 2nd disconnect before it enters the building at the 2nd property. Yes, signage would be installed as well. This is not a PV application, so rapid shutdown is not applicable. Yes, your last statement also seems to be the bigger hurdle. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.