Feeders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Is there any time when pulling multiple conductor into one conduit,say a feeder, that would would pull one conductor at a time?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Under normal conditions no. We did one time have a partially crushed PVC pipe in the deck that we couldn't get the head through so we pulled in the conductors one at a time, but don't tell anyone.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
And if you do, you have to be very careful that the friction between the previously installed conductors and the one being pulled in does not cut through insulation on the previously installed conductors.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Thank you so back to my point about wire labor hours in NECA.
Take #4/0. Neca normal labor unit is 29 hour per thousand.
I checked with NECA and the team that puts together the labor units( their response is below).
So if your pulling in 4# 4/0 500' you would enter 14.5 x 4. Essentially 58 hours to pull all four conductors at once?
You would use approximately 14.5 for all 4 conductors.
Generally speaking would you feel comfortable pulling 4 #1/0( I know that pull box, bends etc. would make difference) 500' in 14-18 hours and not 58 hours.?

Here is what the team came back with.

Single conductor cable, in this case, 1C #1 is always “labored” (Labor unit applied) as a single conductor for all of the cable estimated.
For example, if there were (4) #1C in a conduit run of 100 feet, then 4 conductors * 100 feet = 400 feet of #1C. Set the attached MLU page.

400 feet * 19 hours per thousand (Column 1)

= 400/1000 * 19 =7.6 hours

or .4 thousand *19 hours = 7.6 hours

The exception is if the cable of any kind is listed as a multi-conductor then it is labored as a single assembly cable. For example, a (1) 4C #18 cable is labored as one cable If there are (2) 4C #10 cables in a conduit then labor as 2 cables same for 3,4,5 multiconductor cables in the same conduit or pull.

Thank you. So your saying in your example it would be about 7.6 hours to pull the 400’?

Yes whether 1 conductor 400' or 4 conductors 100'

Last edited:

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Would lube not stop this. I am not stingy on the stuff, maybe some are.
at the bends, the pressure between the conductors will wipe the lube off. A worse case is using a string or rope in with existing conductors as that will cut through the insulation much easier than another conductor.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
Not something you will do twice! Normally it makes more sense to pull out the existing conductors and pull them back in with the additional conductors. Why would you want to pull them one at a time???????

Status
Not open for further replies.