Feeding Equipment

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Questions regarding feeding these (2) pieces of equipment.

According to the legend they are asking for (2) separate conduit runs.

If pricing would you price it this way?

In the field would you run ONE conduit with both circuits to the units then branch of and feed individually?

** Yes, I know when they say conduit it's STUPID..

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Combining them into one raceway often saves money so it's done all of the time. You'll just need to do a calculation for more than 3 CCC's in the raceway and adjust the conductor size accordingly.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Combining them into one raceway often saves money so it's done all of the time. You'll just need to do a calculation for more than 3 CCC's in the raceway and adjust the conductor size accordingly.
Absolutely but could you get hung out to dry if submitting as builts?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
That’s my point . If we show as builts that differ from the contract drawings then what?
Honestly in my experience no one is checking. So as long as the conductors are properly sized the installation will be code compliant and no one will care.

Tulsa Electrician

Occupation
Electrician
A lot of time there is a general note stating runs can be combined. I find it a lot by the legend for the circuit indicator. If not ask, most will say sure as long as you adjust to be code compliant.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
That’s my point . If we show as builts that differ from the contract drawings then what?
They can argue that you should have gotten the change from the plans approved before proceeding.

Another option is a single feeder to a sub-panel, with separate conduits from there to the equipment.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
If the drawings ask for two conduits and you run a single one, and your contract says you will install per the drawings you are in violation of the contract you signed.

Chances are if you asked permission to consolidate them them into a single conduit the request would be granted. I would not be relying on no one noticing. It is possible they asked that it be done that way for some reason you have no knowledge of.