Feelings on joining the BBB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zappy

What do you think about becoming a member of the Better Business Bureau?Thank you.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
Public service alerts are valuable, and we need more whistle blowing in our industry. Especially where private entities abuse public policy and exploit people.

However, I've never seen a negative report against any BBB member. I feel more comfortable doing business with eBay members, since they have some feedback available in the public domain.

This private organization has aggressive recruiting in my area. BBB telemarketers recruit by phone, during business hours, and can't be asked for a call back number, until their script is finished.

I thought the cost of membership was high, especially for website logos, but the reward was less clear to me.

Last edited:

ultramegabob

the only people they list are paying members, they do not report on anyone who is not a member, what good does that do anyone? and Im guessing they dont bite the hand that feeds them very often..... they are about like consumer reports, you ever read their reviews on tools? they usually list a couple weekend project doityerselfer tools and give them positive reviews, Im guessing whoever gives the most money gets the best review.

iwire

Staff member
ultramegabob said:
they are about like consumer reports, you ever read their reviews on tools? they usually list a couple weekend project doityerselfer tools and give them positive reviews, Im guessing whoever gives the most money gets the best review.

IMO you are way off base about Consumer Reports Magazine objectiveness. I do agree the tool reviews are for homeowners. Usually they say right in the report that the tools they list as OK may not be suitable for contractor use.

ConsumerReports.org is published by Consumers Union, which accepts no outside advertising, no free test samples, and has no agenda other than the interests of consumers. With more than 2 million active, paid subscribers, ConsumerReports.org is larger than any other publication-based Web site.

ultramegabob

iwire said:
IMO you are way off base about Consumer Reports Magazine objectiveness. I do agree the tool reviews are for homeowners. Usually they say right in the report that the tools they list as OK may not be suitable for contractor use.

Okay, forget consumer reports (which I still feel is getting kickbacks)... pick up any car magazine, gun magazine, fishing magazine, and read their reviews on products, then flip through the pages and see who is advertising, do you ever see a review of a product by one of their advertisers that is negative? I feel its about the same amount of objectivity going on.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
ultramegabob said:
..do you ever see a review of a product by one of their advertisers that is negative?

Not usually where self-regulated, private enterprise is concerned. No reviews of corrupt trade school industry, or Mike Holt's customers on this forum either.

I agree Consumers Union is an exception, and many durable goods, vehicles, and rip-off industries investigated there have been remarkably ignored by all other media & publications.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.