Fein Multimaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdshunk

I've got one, it's the only tool for the job in a very few situations, but it is also very slow. No matter what you see in online video's and late-night TV, it's slow. It is, however, just what the doctor ordered for certain tasks like cutting off baseboard in place to install a baseboard heater, as one for instance.

aline

mdshunk said:
I've got one, it's the only tool for the job in a very few situations, but it is also very slow. No matter what you see in online video's and late-night TV, it's slow. It is, however, just what the doctor ordered for certain tasks like cutting off baseboard in place to install a baseboard heater, as one for instance.
So it doesn't sound as if it would be a good tool to use when you have a lot of boxes to cut in such as in the case of a whole house rewire job.

mdshunk

aline said:
So it doesn't sound as if it would be a good tool to use when you have a lot of boxes to cut in such as in the case of a whole house rewire job.
No, but I'll tell you where it does come in handy for cutting in boxes. You know how in some old houses, the plaster is so bad that it seems if you breathe on it, chunks fall out? This saw is really slick for those times. It doesn't vibrate the surrounding plaster like a keyhole saw will, so you preserve the plaster much better. The blades last longer and don't make the dust a RotoZip would. I wouldn't doubt that there aren't guys out there using it to cut all their box holes, but I happen to think it's a tool best reserved for special situations. When you cut in a box and find an unexplained piece of blocking in your box hole, as another for instance. Plunge that blade in there and remove the section of ofending timber.

aline

mdshunk said:
No, but I'll tell you where it does come in handy for cutting in boxes. You know how in some old houses, the plaster is so bad that it seems if you breathe on it, chunks fall out? This saw is really slick for those times. It doesn't vibrate the surrounding plaster like a keyhole saw will, so you preserve the plaster much better. The blades last longer and don't make the dust a RotoZip would. I wouldn't doubt that there aren't guys out there using it to cut all their box holes, but I happen to think it's a tool best reserved for special situations. When you cut in a box and find an unexplained piece of blocking in your box hole, as another for instance. Plunge that blade in there and remove the section of ofending timber.
Sounds like it's a tool worth having then. I'll add it to my christmas list.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The tool is great and just as Marc described it is great for certain types of cuts. I bought mine on line (new on E-Bay) and paid about $400.00 (shipping and tax included). If you're in a state that charges high sales tax I would suggest buying on E-Bay. You can probably get it for a few bucks less now, I'm sure. The blades are about $20-$40.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
iwire said:
How much do new blades cost and can you get them easily?

The blades are avaiable locally around here however the tool and blades are pricey. The fein tool can cut tile, wood, caulking, plaster, etc. Very versatile yet I have not bought one. Price can vary depending on the kit. I have seen them for $300- $400 range and some kits at $700.

Blades also vary from $30 on up.

TOOL_5150

I bought a fein multimaster for a specific job I just completed... it was worth the $400 right there on that particular job. Ill post pictures later tonight.

~Matt

TOOL_5150

TOOL_5150 said:
I bought a fein multimaster for a specific job I just completed... it was worth the $400 right there on that particular job. Ill post pictures later tonight.

~Matt

Heres the pictures I promised:

Had a stud right in the way of where I wanted to set a 3G box.:

before.jpg

Marked where the box would set, and used the plunge cut feature on the MM:

cut.jpg

Box set and wired / piped/ and mounted:

after.jpg

There were a few other boxes I needed to set that were in similar positions... it was the cleanest, fastest and safest way to do this.

~Matt

wireguru

is it just me or does that stud look like it would be supporting more than just itself and the sheetrock attached to it? thats a pretty big notch....

kornbln

wireguru said:
is it just me or does that stud look like it would be supporting more than just itself and the sheetrock attached to it? thats a pretty big notch....

Corner of an exterior wall? That is quite a notch.

TOOL_5150

let me help you visulalize this. standing in the middle of the garage, looking at the house/garage wall from left to right:

<----12'wall--[the sw box]-><--door--><---8' wall--->

if that small notch out of that big wall makes my house fall down.. I will buy every member of this forum a beer.

I thought yall were electricians, not framers. :grin:

Thats what I get for trying to help a fella out. :roll:

~Matt

TOOL_5150

LarryFine said:
"Lighten up, Francis!" ~ Sgt. Hulka in Stripes
Army-Smiley.gif

I was mostly joking around, but I didnt even get one positive comment yet. Oh well, dinner time and I am starting a 4 day weekend - all is good. :grin:

~Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.