Fiber optic pool light

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparkyjpb

I just received a reply email from the techs at Fiberstar. A gfi IS required.

I met with the inspector of this job and he did agree with me that it does not need to be treated as a "regular" pool light. So romex in the house is good.

Last edited:

quogueelectric

Pierre C Belarge said:
Do you have a manufacturer name and model number? or a URL to the site?
The fiber is either glass but most likely plastic so there would be no bonding of nonconductive material that I have ever seen required.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
sparkyjpb said:
I just received a reply email from the techs at Fiberstar. A gfi IS required.

I met with the inspector of this job and he did agree with me that it does not need to be treated as a "regular" pool light. So romex in the house is good.

Did they say why they think a gfci is required?

sparkyjpb

brantmacga said:
Did they say why they think a gfci is required?
No, they didn't say why, their reply was short and sweet. They had a phone # too if you need more info as to why. I emailed because they were already closed and I needed some quick answers. Thanks to everyone here who replied. I love this forum!

quogueelectric

Dennis Alwon said:
20 feet has to do with receptacles. If this is not a cord and plug then there is no need for GFCI. art. 680.22 (4)
All the fiber lightsources that I have installed are not far from the end light source and have been cord and plug connected.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
quogueelectric said:
All the fiber lightsources that I have installed are not far from the end light source and have been cord and plug connected.

Well if it is cord and plug then that is a different story. I agree if within 20 feet and cord and plug then GFCI is needed.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
these fiberstars units are not cord-and-plug. they are hardwired units. i think i have installed everything they make and haven't run across one w/ a cord.

Status
Not open for further replies.