Fiberglass pool bonding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ek37

New User
Occupation
Photographer
Hey guys
Im gona give you the whole story, I’m a homeowner with a pool. Purchased the house in June of 2020, the house has a fiberglass pool in the backyard that’s around 20 years old. Had a pool inspection during purchasing process, nothing out of ordinary pool inspector said. Mmmmmhmmmmm
So here comes the can of worms. I purchased a salt chlorinator and started getting some quotes from electricians. Come to find out, I have no j box, pool light was never hooked up( I dug up conduit with the end wire buried underground, not connected to anything) no bond wire going back to the pump, what I have is #8 connected to 6 foot copper rod buried in the ground by the pool (about 4 feet past the concrete deck). The breaker on the pump is double pole 30 amp(located in sub panel in the garage) , from that I have grey UF wire going to a pump with a small weatherproof box on the house with gfci receptacle and switch to turn the pump on and off. Sounds terrible and scary at the same time, ticking time bomb? So in order to do things the right way electricians want to open permits and run new wire from main panel through attic come back out to the side of the house by the pool equipment. That’s all fine, but the big issue is bonding. Remember that 6 foot copper rod? Is everything bonded properly? What would town inspector look for? Could he make me bust the concrete decking or make me redo it so he could see bonding? What if my bonding is ok, would I need to rip out concrete deck and redo it? At this point the electricians think whoever installed the pool, they don’t think permits were pulled. I want the pool to be safe but it’s 20 years old. What should I do. I am the 3rd owner of the house or since the pool has been put in. Previous owner bought it with pool already in. I have read articles where pool installers have done the copper grounding rod. Which I don’t think is correct but I’m hoping someone can give me some advice from their experience. Thank you

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
I retired as a master electrician after 42 years, and have never done a pool. For pool electrical I know some of the rules, and would get the best pool contractor to install a pool for me.
For you, I would recommend the same. Its not possible for us to assist you via your long description.

Status
Not open for further replies.