Filling half spaces in an old QO panel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I did some re working of an older panel, downsized a main breaker and added a 40 amp solar back feed. Seems like the panel cover had been originally modified a little, the main had a spot where someone cut the panel cover to make it fit.

So now for whatever reason I am left with half breaker spaces showing. My question is what is the code for this, how much space is allowable. Am I going to have to saw a a breaker filler plate in half to cover these small spaces or is this allowable tolerance.

I really don't want to leave it this way, it doesn't look right, but I am not sure what to do to fix it.

Thanks

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Hi all,

I did some re working of an older panel, downsized a main breaker and added a 40 amp solar back feed. Seems like the panel cover had been originally modified a little, the main had a spot where someone cut the panel cover to make it fit.

So now for whatever reason I am left with half breaker spaces showing. My question is what is the code for this, how much space is allowable. Am I going to have to saw a a breaker filler plate in half to cover these small spaces or is this allowable tolerance.

I really don't want to leave it this way, it doesn't look right, but I am not sure what to do to fix it.

Thanks

I have used duct tape in the past-- the tape that is really strong and sticky- but I guess you can cut a blank or cut the cover for a full size blank

iwire

Staff member
110.12(A)Unused Openings. Unused openings, other than those intended for the operation of equipment, those intended for mounting purposes, or those permitted as part of the design for listed equipment, shall be closed to afford protection substantially equivalent to the wall of the equipment. Where metallic plugs or plates are used with nonmetallic enclosures, they shall be recessed at least 6 mm (1⁄4 in.) from the outer surface of the enclosure.

In a pinch I have flat metal to close up spaces around breakers.

kwired

Electron manager
Have a picture? QO never made any 1/2 size breakers so what you are trying to describe doesn't quite make sense, unless at some point someone somehow cobbled some non QO breaker into there, which unless it was a Cutler Hammer CH series breaker, is just about impossible to do, CH is only type out there that is even close to same size/type of plug on connection.

Now if you are dealing with a panel that accepts QOB (bolt on breakers) I guess it would be somewhat easier to cobble some other manufacturers bolt on breaker into there and other then a CH series would be 1 inch wide breaker instead of 3/4 inch wide (per pole).

As far as filling a space you can't find or don't have a designed filler for, attaching a piece of sheet metal works, you could attach via screw, rivet, epoxy or other glue/cement.

Status
Not open for further replies.