Finding Question on the NEC under two minute

Status
Not open for further replies.

yordanys

Occupation
Electrician
Hi Guys,

How are you, Any advice on how to find questions on the NEC under two minutes? I will appreciate any advice.Thank you

jusme123

Occupation
JW
They still have PDFs?
.....not great for someone who is studying for a code exam, especially since most states only allow the NEC Code book. Read the question twice, than try to pick out the ‘keywords’ in the question being asked, JMHO.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
.....not great for someone who is studying for a code exam, especially since most states only allow the NEC Code book. Read the question twice, than try to pick out the ‘keywords’ in the question being asked, JMHO.
I meant the index in the back of the book.

One key thing is to be able to know where to look for an answer. Some questions will be on chapter 5 and chapter 6 (special occupancies and special equipment) and you need to recognize these so you dont go digging around in the general requirements such as 250 or 300 for the answer. For example say you have a question about bonding the roof on a park trailer and your first thought might be to look in 250, but you should recognize park trailer as having its own article. Similarly, "special things" often have "special calculations". For example you have a question about demand factors for receptacles at a marina. Again the temptation might be to go to 220, but you should recognize marinas and boatyards as a special occupancy and look there.

marcosgue

Occupation
Electrician
Well, if you want to get the answer in the less time as possible, let's say in less than two minutes, first you have to identify the keyword in the questions, because the keyword help you to get the right article. Second, you have to have an absolute domain of the Content that's at the beginning of the book and the knowledge that some articles are more important than others at the time to take the test, that meant for Ex. Articles of Chapter 2 are very important to know because many questions are referenced in the Chapter 2.
Third, you can find the right answer quickly in two ways, through the number of the article at the top of each page, or finding the number of the page at the bottom. These are some tips that helped me to pass the test with 98 grade the first time and I used the last 30 min. to check and revision my answers.
Also you can use many resources like tabs, but if you learn and memorize the title of each Chapter and many important articles you never forget.
Of course, study, study, practice, practice as you can and complement your training with those tips, and I promise you, you can get the right answer quickly, and finally pass the test.
Good luck

480sparky

Never memorize page numbers. The next edition, they'll change and you'll be lost. Memorize code numbers. Yes, they can change, but not every cycle.

marcosgue

Occupation
Electrician
Yes, no memorize page number that you said, I said use the page number to find the answer. I say memorize the title of each Chapter, I think is very easy and also useful, and also memorize the title of some important articles that traditionally appears in the test and give the answer in so many questions.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
What helped me, was reading the NEC from cover to cover. All those seldom used articles like Audio Sound and Welders..the index in the back is not that great, firms finder is best, and what every you use depends on what you are allowed to have with you in the exam

marcosgue

Occupation
Electrician
Generally you are not allow to have anything in the room test, only the NEC and I think is enough.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
I used the index on my j-test on my master I used the table of content. you should have an idea we’re you need to go and that page is good because you don’t have to sift through the back to find the section your answer will be in.

NTesla76

Occupation
Electrics
For me it was taking practice test after practice test after practice test. This not only familiarizes yourself on what the questions are asking, where to find them, but also you get an idea of how long it might take you to come up with an answer. If it is going to take more than a couple of minutes, skip it and come back to it at the end if you have time.

480sparky

For me, it was starting in the trade back in the 80s. Sitting down and actually going page-by-page through the book. Not necessarily reading it like a novel, but skimming through it and wrapping my head around what specifically is being addressed in that section.

When you're taking a test, you need to ignore words and phrases that are tossed in just to confuse you. Like 'custom' dwelling... the NEC doesn't care if the house is a custom or cookie-cutter spec / tract house. A dwelling is a dwelling.

Status
Not open for further replies.