Finding Question on the NEC under two minute

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
Seems funny now but when I got my JM in MA. 1981 the JM test was 16 questions, no code book and you had to get 12 of them correct. This was in the middle of a hot spell and the room was 90 deg, no AC. Their must have been a puddle under my chair between my nerves and the heat.

1 1/2 years later I passed my Masters under the "new " format 100 questions with the book. Much better.

I agree with the above posts, skip the questions your not sure of and go back to them. Sometimes you will find another question down the line that will help you on the question you don't know.

And yes as @480sparky said they word the questions to trick you, strip the question down to basics

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Jeff Rodriguez told me to memorize the table of contents many years ago..
It never failed me..

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Hi Guys,

How are you, Any advice on how to find questions on the NEC under two minutes? I will appreciate any advice.Thank you
Know the overall layout of the NEC - Chapters 1-4 are general, 5-8 are more specific, know the appendix's, and know where definitions are.

Then know where the most common articles are - feeders, branch circuits, grounding, receptacles, where ground fault protection requirements are......

My PE exam had a question about ground fault protection for feeders - I knew there was an article that covered feeders, and that was a good place to look first. A quick scan of 215 and there is the answer word for word.

So in general, you just have to be familiar with the overall layout.

And if you can't find the answer to a couple of questions, don't sweat it. Move on, and then come back to those. They don't expect you to be perfect.

Nuber

State Certified Practitioner of Electrical Arts
Occupation
Master Electrician
Know the overall layout of the NEC - Chapters 1-4 are general, 5-8 are more specific, know the appendix's, and know where definitions are.

Then know where the most common articles are - feeders, branch circuits, grounding, receptacles, where ground fault protection requirements are......

My PE exam had a question about ground fault protection for feeders - I knew there was an article that covered feeders, and that was a good place to look first. A quick scan of 215 and there is the answer word for word.

And if you can't find the answer to a couple of questions, don't sweat it. Move on, and then come back to those. They don't expect you to be perfect.

This would be my suggestion as well. I would add that sequential page numbers are on the bottom corners (as with most books) but the first full code article is on the top corner of the page.

In other words if you know you need to get to grounding separately derived systems then flip the pages looking at the top and go to 250.30.

jimmyglen

great advice so far!
the INDEX is your friend - INDEX EVERYTHING when you practice and index every question on the test if you can
like people have said practice and practicing "indexing" will get your brain wired to do well

also make your own index
for example i remember things like burial depths as burial depths - so i write in tiny letters in the index burial depths see art _____
I cant even remember the correct article off the top of my head but my code book would still have that in the back

make the index work for you!
best of luck

bwat

EE
Occupation
EE

I'll second (or third) the items I bolded. I was going to suggest semi-memorizing the table of contents. Not necessarily all of the sub-sections, but if you know what's in each chapter, and some of the main sections in each chapter, you'll be well on your way.

For example, I don't have a ton of parts memorized, but for my projects, and when I took PE test, it's very useful for me to be able to rattle off the general topics covered in... 100..110...210...215...220..230..240..250..310...430...

It seems like 95% of what I typically need is in those sections, and then I have a general idea of just what chapters other items I might need are in.

Status
Not open for further replies.