Finding the work

Status
Not open for further replies.

patric

O.K. , I am really not worried about passing the licensing test. I am book smart, thats not the problem.

How do I develop contacts once I get the license?

I have always worked for large commercial contractors, and have had little interaction with the G.C. or builders.

In addition, I worked in NYC but want to get my license where I live ,in Westchester County, NY.

What sort of trade associations, or builders groups are available to me and how do I join?

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated

jimwalker

Re: Finding the work

Take advantage of all that know your work.Let them know your on your own now.Also let all the factories and commercial places you been know about you.W hile they may not give you big job they might give you the smaller unwanted job.Good luck to you. :)

wpaul29

I will give you some advice thats worked for me and it doesn't cost much.

Many local municipalities and governments post a businesses directory on there websites. I have submitted my contact info and business name for free and they post it. In some instances I am the only electrcal business on the website. Also there are services on the internet that match people with contractors. Usually a small fee is payed for the service and I know people that get most of there work from it. Also make up some business cards. If you have a computer and have some limited experience with ms word you can make your own. Basically once you start getting jobs and people like the work they will tell others. Plus many jobs I have done peoples nieghbors need work done to and so on. Slowly but surely you will get your name out there it just takes time and good quality honest work. People value honesty and quality work! Good luck!

Try business networking. Do a search BNI in your area. Business network International. Works great for contacts. You must go every week and put forth a effort but excellent for work.

Status
Not open for further replies.