Finding X/R ratio using the sequence impedance

UlyssesB

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I'm trying to find the X/R ratio of my service utility so that i can complete an Arc flash calculation, and i have access to the short circuit summary. I am trying to calculate the X/R ratio for min and max faults of the system. I am not sure how I should use the positive, negative and zero sequence impedance to get the correct X/R ratio. Can anyone provide some guidance or point me towards some good reference material?

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
The X/R ratio on the primary side of a utility owned transformer will not have much impact on your secondary side values.

Try running your analysis with several assumptions and compare the results at your service entrance equipment. I remember using starting values of 8 for a POCO and 20 for a generator.

David Castor

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
If you have the positive sequence impedance as a complex number, you can find the X/R by expressing the impedance in R + jX form and then just divide X/R. As Jim says, it isn't too critical for arc-flash calculations, but is more important for equipment duty calculations. The X/R for line-to-ground faults is more complicated but that really won't have any impact on arc-flash calcs based on IEEE 1584.

UlyssesB

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
If you have the positive sequence impedance as a complex number, you can find the X/R by expressing the impedance in R + jX form and then just divide X/R. As Jim says, it isn't too critical for arc-flash calculations, but is more important for equipment duty calculations. The X/R for line-to-ground faults is more complicated but that really won't have any impact on arc-flash calcs based on IEEE 1584.
Ok, I have positive, negative and zero sequence impedance for this ratio. I was not sure if should calculate all three individually and use the max/min values for my equipment, or if there was equation I forgetting that would take all three into account.

UlyssesB

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
The X/R ratio on the primary side of a utility owned transformer will not have much impact on your secondary side values.

Try running your analysis with several assumptions and compare the results at your service entrance equipment. I remember using starting values of 8 for a POCO and 20 for a generator.
What kind of assumptions should I make? Do you have any recommended materials for me to refer to in the future?

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
What kind of assumptions should I make? Do you have any recommended materials for me to refer to in the future?
What guidance does your power analysis software give you? They usually have some reasonable default values, which they explain in their 'help' writeups.

David Castor

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
For arc-flash purposes, the X/R ratio is based on the positive sequence resistance and reactance. You can ignore the other sequence impedances since IEEE 1584 calculations are based on balanced three-phase faults.