Fire Alarm component rated requirement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nietzj

Occupation
Electrician
I'm sure any fire alarm component, cable, power supply has to be rated/listed for fire alarm use. The NEC 760 tells me all about cable requirements but what about other components? Hard to find the language for components.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I'm sure any fire alarm component, cable, power supply has to be rated/listed for fire alarm use. The NEC 760 tells me all about cable requirements but what about other components? Hard to find the language for components.
You won't find what you're looking for in the NEC. Fire alarm panels and panel components are listed to UL 864. Smoke detectors, pull stations, and heat detectors are listed to other UL standards.

nietzj

Occupation
Electrician
Does this seem accurate? This UL 864 is new to me.

The UL 864 Listing is necessary to meet the requirements of NFPA 72. "if any component on the signaling line circuit is not Recognized, than the Listing for the entire system is lost"

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Does this seem accurate? This UL 864 is new to me.

The UL 864 Listing is necessary to meet the requirements of NFPA 72. "if any component on the signaling line circuit is not Recognized, than the Listing for the entire system is lost"
I'm not sure this is true. Did this come out of UL 864, or is it someone's conclusion from some trade magazine article? It would be very difficult to have any device on the signal line circuit (SLC) NOT listed. The SLC data protocol is proprietary from manufacturer to manufacturer, and manufacturers list all the components in their product lines. Well, anyone selling in the US and not on alibaba or Amazon.

Status
Not open for further replies.