Fire Alarm Gas Shut off in Laboratory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shujinko

I have a project in a university lab building. The labs have natural gas outlets in them for experimental purposes. My question is, upon activation of a fire alarm system in the building will the fire alarm have to shut off the natural gas in each laboratory. I can't find anywhere in the NFPA codes or in the Florida Building Code (FBC) that states that gas shut off is required for a university type setting. It is required in K-12 schools by the FBC, but not universiteis. Can anyone provide me with some input? Thanks.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I have a project in a university lab building. The labs have natural gas outlets in them for experimental purposes. My question is, upon activation of a fire alarm system in the building will the fire alarm have to shut off the natural gas in each laboratory. I can't find anywhere in the NFPA codes or in the Florida Building Code (FBC) that states that gas shut off is required for a university type setting. It is required in K-12 schools by the FBC, but not universiteis. Can anyone provide me with some input? Thanks.

If its not required, it doesn't get put in. Unless the contract calls for it. The university's safety committee might have some input on this. Do I personally think this is a good idea? Oh, heck yeah!

Status
Not open for further replies.