Fire Alarm Interface with Audio and Lighting Equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am trying to locate the NEC code that states a fire alarm system must interface with a large auditorium audio system (turn entire system off) AND with the lighting system (turn auditorium lights on.) Would anyone be able to lead me to that specific NEC article? Thank you.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I am trying to locate the NEC code that states a fire alarm system must interface with a large auditorium audio system (turn entire system off) AND with the lighting system (turn auditorium lights on.) Would anyone be able to lead me to that specific NEC article? Thank you.

Such a rule would be in fire or building codes, not in NEC.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety

The short answer is "no". That's because you won't find it in the NEC. It's in the International Building Code (IBC), if your jurisdiction happens to make use of a recent edition. In NJ that is one of the few code changes that have been made retroactive for existing occupancies.

gadfly56

Occupation
In NJ, 907.2.1.2 covers A-2 assemblies. I'm not sure the OP's occupancy falls under either one. More info is needed.

Building code 907.2.12.2 takes care of Special Amusement Buildings.

Thank you Ron for your help. I believe this is the code I was looking for. ICC 907.2.12.2 (1) and (2). Thank you all for your help. I hope this is the proper way to end this thread. This is my first time on this forum.

gadfly56

Occupation
Thank you Ron for your help. I believe this is the code I was looking for. ICC 907.2.12.2 (1) and (2). Thank you all for your help. I hope this is the proper way to end this thread. This is my first time on this forum.

The classic "Special Amusement Building" would be a Haunted House. Is this the type of venue you have? An auditorium probably wouldn't fit the bill.

The classic "Special Amusement Building" would be a Haunted House. Is this the type of venue you have? An auditorium probably wouldn't fit the bill.

Yes. It is a 9,000 Sq. Ft. Television Studio with a live audience. Correct me if that is the incorrect IFC. Thank you gadfly56. Any additional information you can provide will be greatly appreciated. Therefore, I believe this discussion is NOT over as of yet.

gadfly56

Occupation
Yes. It is a 9,000 Sq. Ft. Television Studio with a live audience. Correct me if that is the incorrect IFC. Thank you gadfly56. Any additional information you can provide will be greatly appreciated. Therefore, I believe this discussion is NOT over as of yet.

The audience area is a place of assembly. Can it accommodate 1,000 or more persons, including staff? We are starting with an A-1 classification. Office areas associated with the studio may be a "B" classification, but unless they are separated by a one- or two-hour fire barrier, those offices and their occupants would be counted as part of the A-1 classification.

Status
Not open for further replies.