FIRE ALARM - MERCANTILE (VOICE EVACUATION SYSTEM - REQUIRED OR NOT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PE (always learning)

Occupation
Professional Engineer
Hey everyone,

I have a situation where I have a building classified as mercantile occupancy with over 500 occupants. We are using the 2006 IBC and 2000 NFPA 101 for our codes and the wording on whether or not we require a voice evacuation system is rather confusing. We have designed our building with a voice evacuation system, but now the contractor is saying it is not required. Could someone please help point me in the right direction.

Best Regards

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Hey everyone,

I have a situation where I have a building classified as mercantile occupancy with over 500 occupants. We are using the 2006 IBC and 2000 NFPA 101 for our codes and the wording on whether or not we require a voice evacuation system is rather confusing. We have designed our building with a voice evacuation system, but now the contractor is saying it is not required. Could someone please help point me in the right direction.

Best Regards

For M occupancies of 500 or more, 907.2.7.1 in the 2006 IBC requires occupant notification using an "emergency voice/alarm communication system". This is the case ONLY if pull stations and waterflow alarms go to a central location where an attendant may then issue voice instructions. If you choose to use the simple temporal 3 signal with strobes, then you can't delay the activation.

It also seems that the IBC is more restrictive than NFPA 101. You'll have to resolve that with the AHJ.

Designer69

I can't see anywhere in the IBC where this is specifically required. It is clearly required for some occupancy types like High-Rise or group E but for group M I don't see it as required.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I can't see anywhere in the IBC where this is specifically required. It is clearly required for some occupancy types like High-Rise or group E but for group M I don't see it as required.

Did you look at 907.2.7.1??

If you send an immediate alarm to the occupants with no delay, then you don't need voice. Otherwise, you do.

Designer69

Did you look at 907.2.7.1??

If you send an immediate alarm to the occupants with no delay, then you don't need voice. Otherwise, you do.

My point is it's not specifically required. If the OP installed it for enhancement or whatever then that's fine and you can use Sec. 907.2.7.1 as you say but it's not explicitly required like it is for a High Rise or Assembly type building.

Status
Not open for further replies.