Fire Alarm Pam-1 relay to shunt elevator

Sesohoops3

New User
Occupation
Fire Alarm Tech
I am looking for some help on how to wire this. I am shunting the elevator when the heat detector goes off in the elevator control room.

I am using an addressable fire system. I have my addressable relay connected to the slc. The other side of the relay is NC, NO, and Common.

I will be using a PAM-1 relay

Electrician has his 120vac in place for me. His red wire is labeled constant hot, the black is labeled "shunt trip, send 120"

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I am looking for some help on how to wire this. I am shunting the elevator when the heat detector goes off in the elevator control room.

I am using an addressable fire system. I have my addressable relay connected to the slc. The other side of the relay is NC, NO, and Common.

Electrician has his 120vac in place for me. His red wire is labeled constant hot, the black is labeled "shunt trip, send 120"
Are you using your addressable relay as a pilot relay? Most shunt coils have such a low current draw that your addressable relay should be beefy enough to handle the current.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent

Actually, it should be the electrician's responsibility to wire it up. I would bet 99% of Fire Alarm scopes don't include any line voltage wiring. But basically you are looking at a hot and a switch leg. The shunt trip requires power to trip, so you would hook the red wire up to the common and the black wire up to the NO (normally open) of the PAM relay. I am assuming that you know how to hook up the PAM relay and you are using a 24V source from your panel. The reason this is done is to keep the 120V out of the same box as the SLC loop, even though this isn't actually a code violation.

Important though. First make the electrician do it. Second use a voltage tester, not a tick tracer to verify absence of power.

gadfly56

Occupation
A PAM is a pilot relay.
You can't attach a PAM to an addressable loop. The addressable relay on the addressable loop is the pilot relay, operating the PAM relay. You close a normally open contact on the addressable relay and power the PAM's coil from some source to operate the PAM.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
You can't attach a PAM to an addressable loop. The addressable relay on the addressable loop is the pilot relay, operating the PAM relay. You close a normally open contact on the addressable relay and power the PAM's coil from some source to operate the PAM.
He didn't indicate that he would. Read it again. At least the way I read it, he has an addressable relay AND he will be using a PAM. Very typical around here.

gadfly56

Occupation
He didn't indicate that he would. Read it again. At least the way I read it, he has an addressable relay AND he will be using a PAM. Very typical around here.
Your response at #3 suggested that would be the case.