Fire Alarm Raceway Color Requirement

BLarsen1964

Occupation
Electrical Superintendent
Hey guys--
Is there a requirement in the NEC that fire alarm conduit has to be red in color? I'm getting pushback on this question, and I do not see it in the code book. The project specifications does not address it either.

Engser18

Occupation
Engineering
Hey guys--
Is there a requirement in the NEC that fire alarm conduit has to be red in color? I'm getting pushback on this question, and I do not see it in the code book. The project specifications does not address it either.
It is under NFPA 72 not NEC

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
It is under NFPA 72 not NEC
I don't think there is a rule in 72 for that, as 72 leaves the installation requirements to 70. The closest that the NEC comes is
760.30 Fire Alarm Circuit Identification.
Fire alarm circuits shall be identified at terminal and junction locations in a manner that helps to prevent unintentional signals on fire alarm system circuit(s) during testing and servicing of other systems.

Reactions: ron

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I don't think there is a rule in 72 for that, as 72 leaves the installation requirements to 70. The closest that the NEC comes is
That 760.30 is the source of painting fire alarm junction boxes red. Or just buy them from Space Age Electronics with a nice flame logo on the cover.

1020302559_lg.jpg