Fire alarm strobe in a exam room

Status
Not open for further replies.

bwyllie

Thoughts on if a fire alarm strobe is required in the exam room in a doctor's office. Getting various opinions. My thought is you cannot control which exam room a hearing impaired person maybe in so the strobe is required in exam rooms.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Thoughts on if a fire alarm strobe is required in the exam room in a doctor's office. Getting various opinions. My thought is you cannot control which exam room a hearing impaired person maybe in so the strobe is required in exam rooms.
Perhaps there are additional requirements in MA, or maybe you are under NFAP 101 which I am not that familiar with, but I wouldn't necessarily put notification of any sort in an exam room. The standard building code doesn't require it, as far as I can tell. If I did put something in an exam room, it would be only a strobe. No need to startle the doctor while she/he is in the middle of something delicate with a 90 db audible alarm.

JoeStillman

IMHO, it should be private mode signaling where only the staff need to be notified. Patients may be incapable of self preservation, and staff have responsibility for their evacuation.

Dante

New User
Occupation
Student
Perhaps there are additional requirements in MA, or maybe you are under NFAP 101 which I am not that familiar with, but I wouldn't necessarily put notification of any sort in an exam room. The standard building code doesn't require it, as far as I can tell. If I did put something in an exam room, it would be only a strobe. No need to startle the doctor while she/he is in the middle of something delicate with a 90 db audible alarm.
Completely agree with you. There was a dispute with a colleague, I was looking for arguments and most of the opinions also agree.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
IMHO, it should be private mode signaling where only the staff need to be notified. Patients may be incapable of self preservation, and staff have responsibility for their evacuation.
Maybe in some exam rooms in some locations, but that wouldn't apply to every exam room.

Status
Not open for further replies.