Fire Alarm System Battery Test

Status
Not open for further replies.

fainfo4me

NFPA 72 (2002) Table 10.4.3 Requires sealed lead acid batteries have a discharge test annually. 10.4.2.2 tells me to load test the battery using the manufacturer's instructions. I assume, since batteries are required to supply alarm power for 5 minutes, I should perform the discharge test for 5 minutes. Why is (30 minutes) written beside the listing in 10.4.3 6(d)2?

fainfo4me

Thanks

Thanks

Thanks Ron, NFPA 72, 4.4.1.5.3.1 requires 24 hours of standby and 5 minutes of evacuation power. I thought the discharge test was telling me to operate the system under full load on batteries for 30 minutes but maybe this means something else, since the batteries are only required to supply power under full load for 5 minutes.

brian john

We test all batteries at the rated current and time, per the manufactuures literature. We want to know the battery meets published specifictions.

ron

NFPA 72 Section 10.4.2.2 gives the formal Test Methods for battery testing.
You will find battery capacities are dependent on whether it acts as a releasing panel (pre-action sprinkler, clean agent, etc) or voice evacuation. It is also dependent on whether there is an adequate life safety generator.

Status
Not open for further replies.