Fire Alarm System Breaker Requirement

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgehringelcon

Occupation
Co-Owner/Master Electrician
Hello,

I'm currently trying to track down a piece of information regarding the requirement to prevent inadvertent operation of a circuit breaker that serves the fire alarm system of a commercial office for a private education institution. The information I'm after is whether the device must be red in color. We have done several hotels in our area and they have all had "red" Siemens breaker locking devices installed on all circuits that serve Fire Alarm systems. The project mentioned above is a Square D QO install and we are having some trouble locating a "red" breaker locking device for the QOB breakers. Just wanted to see if others have had this issue and whether there was a specific part number that gets us a "red" device.

Thanks,

MGElcon

mgehringelcon

Occupation
I found abizillion by searching circuit breaker lock out ; most in red .

So I suppose this changes my question to, "does this device have to be installed so as to prevent removal?" Such as does it have to be installed in a way that the dead front has to be removed prior to removing the device?

Appreciate the quick response!

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
No code book, but I believe the intent is to stop accidental/ intentional turning off the power. (Tool required).
As you see the linked one, painted red, would allow dead front removal; other styles require removal of the locking device.

mgehringelcon

Occupation
No code book, but I believe the intent is to stop accidental/ intentional turning off the power. (Tool required).
As you see the linked one, painted red, would allow dead front removal; other styles require removal of the locking device.

Thanks again for the replies. I'll change our route in pursuing a locking device. Just wanted to avoid getting hit over the head by something that I missed.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
You don't want to have to remove the dead front to remove the locking device. The one linked to does not require removal of the dead front, just a screw driver to remove the lockout.

fjsolano

Occupation
Elect GF
I am also getting an inspector trying to require a red breaker for supplying the FACU. I am not finding a code section that states this is required.
Please respond.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
760.41(B)
"The branch circuit supplying the fire alarm equipment(s) shall supply no other loads. The location of the branch-circuit overcurrent protective device shall be permanently identified at the fire alarm control unit. The circuit disconnecting means shall have red identification, shall be accessible only to qualified personnel, and shall be identi‐ fied as “FIRE ALARM CIRCUIT.”..............

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
760.41(B)
"The branch circuit supplying the fire alarm equipment(s) shall supply no other loads. The location of the branch-circuit overcurrent protective device shall be permanently identified at the fire alarm control unit. The circuit disconnecting means shall have red identification, shall be accessible only to qualified personnel, and shall be identi‐ fied as “FIRE ALARM CIRCUIT.”..............
It is unlikely that rule actually applies as it is for a Non-Power Limited Fire Alarm System. Not sure they even make those anymore, but the rule in 760.121 is much the same and applies to the commonly used Power Limited Fire Alarm systems.
760.121(B) Branch Circuit.
The branch circuit supplying the fire alarm equipment(s) shall supply no other loads. The location of the branch-circuit overcurrent protective device shall be permanently identified at the fire alarm control unit. The circuit disconnecting means shall have red identification, shall be accessible only to qualified personnel, and shall be identified as “FIRE ALARM CIRCUIT.” The red identification shall not damage the overcurrent protective devices or obscure the manufacturer's markings. This branch circuit shall not be supplied through ground-fault circuit interrupters or arc-fault circuit interrupters. The fire alarm branch-circuit disconnecting means shall be permitted to be secured in the “on” position.
The last sentence was new to the 2020 code, but NFPA 72 says:
The circuit disconnecting means shall be accessible only to authorized personnel.
10.6.5.4 Circuit Breaker Lock.
Where a circuit breaker is the disconnecting means, an approved breaker locking device shall be installed.
Not sure if the standard breaker lock that you remove with a screwdriver actually accomplishes making the disconnect accessible only to authorized personnel, but it is the common practice to install such a breaker lock on the fire alarm system breaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.