Fire Alarm Test & Inspection Procedures

Status
Not open for further replies.

lowvolts1224

Hello,

Recently, there has been a question regarding the interpretation of the NFPA 72 test methods. The NFPA 72 "Secondary Power Supply" test methods state:

General alarm systems shall be operated for a minimum of 5 minutes, and emergency voice coummunications systems shall be operated for a minimum of 15 minutes.

I have been told by another technician that if a battery tester is used, as is allowed by the exceptions under "Batteries -- General Tests" section, that it is not necessary to sound the alarm for 5 minutes/15 minutes as is called for in the Secondary Power Supply section. Can anyone tell me if this is correct? My state is currently under the 2012 edition of the NFPA 72.

Thanks

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Hello,

Recently, there has been a question regarding the interpretation of the NFPA 72 test methods. The NFPA 72 "Secondary Power Supply" test methods state:

General alarm systems shall be operated for a minimum of 5 minutes, and emergency voice coummunications systems shall be operated for a minimum of 15 minutes.

I have been told by another technician that if a battery tester is used, as is allowed by the exceptions under "Batteries -- General Tests" section, that it is not necessary to sound the alarm for 5 minutes/15 minutes as is called for in the Secondary Power Supply section. Can anyone tell me if this is correct? My state is currently under the 2012 edition of the NFPA 72.

Thanks

Battery testers only model the probable behavior of the battery set under a specific discharge profile. You still need to be sure that some issue the tester can't catch isn't going to interfere with the proper operation of the notification signal. FWIW, I used to let the alarm ring (after warning the occupants) and then take readings at 30 second intervals.

Status
Not open for further replies.