Fire alarm work in NJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hey guys, i was talking to a building owner of a warehouse that needs some electrical repairs/violations corrected.

During the conversation he told me the inspector came in and said he can forget about getting his temporary c of o until smoke heads are installed in all required areas.

Currently as far as fire alarm systems go all he has are water flow devices that dial a central station.

This would be the first Fire Alarm job i would be involved in since becoming a NJ licensed electrical contractor.

My question is, as far as fire alarms are we allowed to pull a fire permit and design/install a complete FA system for the building, or bring the existing up to code?

Would my best bet be to contact the fire official for that township?:?

I would hate to turn down the work.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

mtnelectrical

Yep, you are allowed to desing and install a fire system, You have to have some expirience already in fire system. what cable to use, when to put inside conduit for protection, addresable, conventional,etc; but defenetly there has to be a starting point. Just do not underbid the job. And defenitly get in contact with the fire inspector and find out what his expectations are from the system you install. And very important, talk to you insurance and find out what they cover regarding of fire installations, mine had some restrictions.Wish you the best.

Excellent thanks for the info.
Been on the phone all morning working this out, hopefully we get the job.

Yup need additional insurance for FA work.
Will go over details with inspector when i put in the application.

Last edited:

Amaracan

Call the State DCA @ 609-984-7609

Call the State DCA @ 609-984-7609

:D
Hey guys, i was talking to a building owner of a warehouse that needs some electrical repairs/violations corrected.

During the conversation he told me the inspector came in and said he can forget about getting his temporary c of o until smoke heads are installed in all required areas.

Currently as far as fire alarm systems go all he has are water flow devices that dial a central station.

This would be the first Fire Alarm job i would be involved in since becoming a NJ licensed electrical contractor.

My question is, as far as fire alarms are we allowed to pull a fire permit and design/install a complete FA system for the building, or bring the existing up to code?

Would my best bet be to contact the fire official for that township?:?

I would hate to turn down the work.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Assuming that the warehouse has minimal office space, it's likely to be classified as an S-1 or S-2 occupancy. No fire alarm is required for either occupancy, even if it wasn't sprinklered. The addition of a small amount of "B" occupancy wouldn't change that. The customer might (politely) ask the fire officail to quote chapter and verse on the requirement for a fire alarm system. Otherwise, to get 100% coverage for a warehouse, especially with smoke detectors, can get very expensive.

fmtjfw

We've used optical smoke detectors in gymnasiums. Sometimes you can cover the whole building with one emitter and one detector if you have a peaked roof. Even if you need a few much easier to install than a whole bunch of individual heads.

Addressable system is easy to wire. 4 wire loop is harder, but the equipment is cheaper and you don't need a gizmo or a laptop software program to set the addresses.

Last edited:

satcom

"as far as fire alarm systems go all he has are water flow devices that dial a central station."

For a warehouse that is usually all they need, might be the inspector wants smokes installed to protect the rats that get in the building

Don't forget to protect yourself, and get alarm insurance liability if your planning to do alarm work, the liability is not the same as electrical contracting.

Status
Not open for further replies.