Fire inspector say too close to fire exstinguisher Any NEC issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just had a buddy do a job where they had to install some time clocks. The print showed it right beside the 'in wall' fire exstinguisher.

He ran the power for it and now a fire inspector recently says it is too close. Its not 'obstructing" it or anything, but I will admit I have always heard the 'industry standard' was 3ft space for the mounted in wall fire exstinguisher or fire pull stations when feasible to do.

The actual code only says , "not to obstruct", so Is the fire inspector correct in not 'liking' this? Are there any NEC violations about this, because I do not see any.

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
Just had a buddy do a job where they had to install some time clocks. The print showed it right beside the 'in wall' fire exstinguisher.

He ran the power for it and now a fire inspector recently says it is too close. Its not 'obstructing" it or anything, but I will admit I have always heard the 'industry standard' was 3ft space for the mounted in wall fire exstinguisher or fire pull stations when feasible to do.

The actual code only says , "not to obstruct", so Is the fire inspector correct in not 'liking' this? Are there any NEC violations about this, because I do not see any.

Perhaps he feels the fire extinguisher is being obscured by the time clock

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Perhaps he feels the fire extinguisher is being obscured by the time clock

A fire extinguisher can't be mounted higher than 5 ft off the floor (for 40 lb or less). You'd have to put the time clock in front of the cabinet to obstruct access. NFPA 10 is the standard for fire extinguishers, and 6.1.3.10 deals with cabinets. Nothing about any minimum clearances. Maybe the fire inspector feels that the extinguisher wouldn't be readily accessible during punch in and punch out, but that's his opinion, not code (local amendments notwithstanding). Same thing with pull stations. They have to be within 5 ft of the exit, but IIRC, nothing prohibits putting it right next to the light switch, except common sense.

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
A fire extinguisher can't be mounted higher than 5 ft off the floor (for 40 lb or less). You'd have to put the time clock in front of the cabinet to obstruct access. NFPA 10 is the standard for fire extinguishers, and 6.1.3.10 deals with cabinets. Nothing about any minimum clearances. Maybe the fire inspector feels that the extinguisher wouldn't be readily accessible during punch in and punch out, but that's his opinion, not code (local amendments notwithstanding). Same thing with pull stations. They have to be within 5 ft of the exit, but IIRC, nothing prohibits putting it right next to the light switch, except common sense.

Both IFC and IBC require them to be unobstructed and un-obscured if walking down the hallway you see the time clocks and not the fire extinguisher it would be obscured from view. This can be dealt with signage if approved by the fire marshal.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Both IFC and IBC require them to be unobstructed and un-obscured if walking down the hallway you see the time clocks and not the fire extinguisher it would be obscured from view. This can be dealt with signage if approved by the fire marshal.

It would have to be dealt with via signage since by definition you aren't going to see much of an in-wall cabinet. There are any number of sign types you can use; check Brooks Equipment Co. for more info.

Status
Not open for further replies.