Fire Pump ATS

Status
Not open for further replies.

kpoww

Hi all - first post, but I've viewed posts here for several years and have picked up quite a bit of info - thanks!
Here's my latest dilemma - an existing high rise residential building (208/120V 3ph service) with a natural gas genset, one ATS, main switchgear and 30HP fire pump all in the same space (not good but existing). We're replacing the genset, fire pump and pump controller. The existing fire pump arrangement did not have a combination controller and ATS, just an across-the-line controller. This controller is fed from a 175/3P CB the emergency panel which is fed from the ATS. I can't see how this is an acceptable arrangement, since the normal feed and the emergency feed essentially come through the same 175A/3P CB. The client seems to think (and is getting pricing on) a direct replacement of this arrangement is OK. I think I need a new Fire Pump combo controller/ATS for the pump with normal feed tapped ahead of the service disconnect and emergency feed from a genset-mtd CB. However, I am confused because (the way i read the codes) I do not need a combo controller/ATS because the main ATS is in sight of the fire pump. Any input?:-?

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
I think I need a new Fire Pump combo controller/ATS for the pump with normal feed tapped ahead of the service disconnect and emergency feed from a genset-mtd CB.

Bump, but I would agree with you.

695.4 Continuity of Power.
(A) Direct Connection. The supply conductors shall directly connect the power source to either a listed fire pump controller or listed combination fire pump controller and power transfer switch.
Same breaker???

695.3 Power Source(s) for Electric Motor-Driven Fire Pumps.
(1) Electric Utility Service Connection. A fire pump shall be permitted to be supplied by a separate service, or from a connection located ahead of and not within the same cabinet, enclosure, or vertical switchboard section as the service disconnecting means. The connection shall be located and arranged so as to minimize the possibility of damage by fire from within the premises and from exposing hazards. A tap ahead of the service disconnecting means shall comply with 230.82(5). The service equipment shall comply with the labeling requirements in 230.2 and the location requirements in 230.72(B). [20:9.2.2]

Status
Not open for further replies.