Fire Pump Equipment Location

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparky Joe

We just installed a 100 horse fire pump, and it was not in a seperate room. In fact in was right in the same area where the company does its printing right next to all the employees that probably don't even know what the thing is.

bdarnell

Occupation
Retired Engineer
NFPA 20 and the NEC do not require a room dedicated only to the fire pump, however NFPA 20 5.12.1.1 requires that "Indoor fire pump units shall be physically separated or protected by fire rated construction..."

That would seem to mean a separate room to me. I can't recall ever seeing a fire pump not in a fire-rated room.

Sparky Joe said:
We just installed a 100 horse fire pump, and it was not in a seperate room.

I'm very surprised that this installation passed inspection. When the fire starts, how are you going to keep the fire pump from burning up in the fire ?? :roll:

The pump is in a rated room. However it is a mechancial room with electrcal and boiler equipment. There is a physical separation and the of course the room is sprinklered.

bdarnell

Occupation
Retired Engineer
Then I think you are OK, Ted. Unless it's a local code or something. I just finished a project where we had a fire pump room that also had the incoming water service riser, building management panel, fire alarm panel and various other foreign systems.

Not sure why the local AHJ is requiring the dedicated room. Can you ask him / her to provide a code reference ?

Sparky Joe

It doesn't sound like an AHJ requirement, but rather an engineer spec.
The one I mentioned was sprinklered of course and there is a firewall seperating the warehouse space where propane operated forklifts were used, from the office space where the pump and this printing room were located. The pump and fire riser setup were directly adjacent to our main electrical room which was seperate and fire rated too.

Thanks for the feed back. I also think I am OK but I have battled this AHJ on other items / issues that had no point of reference. :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.