Fire Pump feed from Switch gear with two feeders and tie breaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkbhunter

We just had a arc fault study done in one of our building here at Ft Belvoir and the Corps found a problem with the Fire Pump feeder breaker location. The Normal feed breaker is located on the load side of the main breaker as this is not normal as it would be on the line side with a single feed gear! This was changed a few years back because if we lost "A" feeder the generators will run until the "A" feeder was restored. So we moved the Fire pump feed breaker to the load side of the main breaker and if we lost the "A" feeder we could close the "TIE" breaker and get the EM Generator back into normal mode. to sum it up we have 3 feeds to our Fire Pump and I see no reason to have the breaker on the LINE side of the (A or B) mains. Can anyone give me a code exception for the fire pump breaker to be on the load side of the Main?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
There are members here that are better informed to answer but since you are new and its been a while i didn't want you to think the post was ignored. I know of no exception that would allow the supply to be downstream from the main but give others an opportunity to respond.

Status
Not open for further replies.