Fire Pump Large Box store Disconnecting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fordean

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I have to temporary disconnect Control panel 480 for 60 HP motor. Fire Pump in room conduit is run underslab. I cannot find a disconnect means.
Their is a 1. 5 in Rigid Entering Control panel. And a transformer is 75 feet away right outside room. I found a Meter next to the Trans. With a similar conduit. Below Attached Pics
But only see 1 - 1.5 inch conduit going into bottom. Look like a CT type Meter pan. Are their CT's in Transformer. And Feeder from trans to Motor originates in Transformer.. How can I open load side. The main power source for Building has it own CT cabinet. And meter.

Attachments

• IMG_5914.jpg
    IMG_5914.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 14

Fordean

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Fire pumps typically do not have disconnect other than one in the controller.
A disconnect has to be able to interrupt locked rotor current.
Controller is being changed to. I'm guessing I need a D&R at Trans. So your confirming. Pump feed is in Transformer? Correct.

Joe Villani

Controller is being changed to. I'm guessing I need a D&R at Trans. So your confirming. Pump feed is in Transformer? Correct.
I think you're the only one to confirm this.

Typically (depending on your are) this is how it's done.

I would see if you can get the utility to open the tranformer, typically you'll see smaller conductors that would be for the fire pump while the others would be for the service.

The CTs would be in the transformer

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
This look more like a "temporary". I would think the fire pump feeds from the other CT cabinet but opening them up is the only way to determine.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Is the pump at the front of the store? The Blue box did that design on several of it’s stores. The fire pump feed may turn up in the pull section in the gear at the rear. If not, it’s like others said, it will feed directly from the poco transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.