Fire Pump Service Conductor Tap Length

Status
Not open for further replies.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I wasn't trying to be "smart" just inquisitive,
I agree that it is a Art 230 not Art 240 based on the "tap" definition. Likewise I have seen (and possibly approved) similar
situations where the conductors were installed in Rigid and did not leave the electric room.

RB1

The disconnecting means for the fire pump is required to be located remote from the one to six disconnects for normal service by 230.72(B). That could be a problem. How is the raceway to be routed from the crown box to the 1,200 amp switch?

Regarding the duct: the purpose of 110.26(E)(1) is to allow the installation of raceways into the top of the equipment. I would think that the AHJ will measure from the crown box.

Looks like the designers had some coordination and planning issues.

Joe Villani

Fire Pump Service Conductor Tap Length

Infinity,

If this is a NYC installation you will be fine.

NYC has added a subsection 230.6(5) stating that service conductors are considered outside the building when installed in service and fire pump rooms having 2 hour rated construction.

Based on your picture it looks like a 2 hour rated room.

Again this is a NYC addition to the code only.

Joe Villani

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Infinity,

If this is a NYC installation you will be fine.

NYC has added a subsection 230.6(5) stating that service conductors are considered outside the building when installed in service and fire pump rooms having 2 hour rated construction.

Based on your picture it looks like a 2 hour rated room.

Again this is a NYC addition to the code only.

Joe Villani

So what would be the required wiring method, RMC or is EMT acceptable?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)

I have read Art 695 a number of times and seem to overlook the accepted wiring methods on the line side of the controller, but note that 695.6(E) does not list EMT as acceptable on the load side.... always made me question it being acceptable on the line side....

kwired

Electron manager
They are not tap conductors they are service conductors - they happen to be allowed to be supplied by the normal service conductors. Since they are service conductors they need to hit a service disconnect nearest point of entry to the building so how much interior conductor is allowed is entirely up to AHJ. Too bad a raceway was not put below the slab for this.

Connection to other service conductors can be made in a vertical section that has supply terminations but can not be in same vertical section that contains the service disconnect.

The fire pump service disconnect must be "located sufficiently remote from other building or other fire pump source disconnecting means such that inadvertent operation at the same time would be unlikely" That is also subject to AHJ interpretation especially when in same room like this one will be.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I'm assuming, that as Joe has stated, local code permits these SEC's in conduit to be well beyond the nearest point of entry given the type of room construction. With the exception of the connection point in the first section (CT cabinet) of the switchgear they will completely independent of the switchboard.

Joe Villani

NYC 695.6(A) treats supply conductors to the line side of the fire pump disconnect switch as service entrance conductors.

NYC 230.43(4) permits the use of EMT as a wiring method for service entrance conductors. These conductors will not have to have a 2hr rating.

NYC 695.6(B) states when you leave the service room the fire pump branch circuit will have to have a 2 hr rating.

Joe Villani

Status
Not open for further replies.