Fire/Smoke Damper Control???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shujinko

I have a project that has ductwork crossing into fire rated chases at multiple locations. Fire/smoke dampers (FSDs) are being called to be installed in the duct work at the point where they cross into the fire rated chases. The plans show that upon general fire alarm initiation all dampers in the building are to close. This is how I've typically seen FSDs controlled here in florida. However, the mechanical plans reviewer sites the Florida Building Code mechanical section and says that there needs to be a duct smoke detector installed within 5 feet of each FSD and when it detects smoke it will close that particular FSD. There are alot of FSDs in this job and that would require alot of extra duct smoke detectors. Is there anywhere in code that says that you can close all the dampers upon general fire alarm initiation? Where is this in the code? ANy help is appreciated.

PS: This project does not require any smoke control system.

luckylerado

I would run it by the AHJ. Typically though the HVAC guy is right smokes would be required. If you are shutting all dampers and releasing all doors and shutting down all hvac on any general alarm I would think that the AHJ would find that acceptable.

If there is no smoke control system requirements then why are they not using fire dampers? The whole project would save money.

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
The Florida Building Code section 716.3.2.1 says that that smoke dampers shall be actuated by smoke detectors in one of five methods as applicable:

1. By a smoke detector installed in a duct within 5' of the damper...

2,3&4 don't to dampers at ducts leaving shafts.

5. Where a total-coverage smoke detector system is provided within areas served by a heating, ventilation and air-conditioning (HVAC) system, dampers shall be permitted to be controlled by the smoke detection system.

If you have total-coverage smoke detection, then you shouldn't need the duct detectors, as you could use option 5. If you have a fire alarm system that doesn't have total-coverage smoke detection, that would not be an acceptable control for the dampers.

The mechanical code (607.3.2.1) reads the same as the building code.

Status
Not open for further replies.